Seller misrepresenting item location

I recently purchased some generic toothbrush heads for my electric toothbrush.  I bought from (who I thought was) an Australian seller, as the item location at the top of the listing in the postage cost area said Australia and I wanted my item quickly.  After two weeks and no item, I contacted the seller who alerted me to the fine print at the very bottom of the listing "All items are shipped to us from overseas, then to the customer and may take 4 weeks MAXIMUM for buyer to receive". 

Clearly I didn't read this fine print before bidding, however today when I received my item, the packaging was post marked China not Australia.  The seller's feedback indicates other buyers who have also been mislead by this.  It made me wonder - when I purchased my item, did the seller then purchase them from an overseas ebay seller and enter my contact details so they could be sent direct to me from the overseas seller?  The auction listing also stated "All returns must be dealt with the product company directly".

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Seller misrepresenting item location

Not experienced it as a problem as such. I check feedback, especiallyy if it is for 'bargain' price items, and it is usually pretty obvious if items are coming from China when the location is given as Australia. If it looks like they are coming from Chna then I will still buy as very often delivery takes no longer than it does from some domestic sellers however I do mark their item description star down as the item location forms part of the listing.

This is one of the issues that is going to be impacted in a positive way by the new buyer protection policy starting in November, if buyers claim under the ebay process rather than Paypal's items will have to be returned to where it states in the listing they are located so they won't be able to turn round and expect you to return them to Chia if they have wrongly stated the item location.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Heihei.If the seller do not delivery his goods as the promised location,you can get your money back or partial refund.

So far.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Since you are here begging for attention i looked at a phone case you have listed.I notice that you have free post yet in your term & conditions you state that to deliver to a P.O box or parcel locker you charge an aitional $5-$8 more for this service.

Wow,i didn't know a seller was allowed to charge anything extra for post than stated in the main postage cost,which in this case is $0.

Interesting.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

You are correct Sookie, the seller cannot add any extra, they can set things up so they can refuse to sell to PO boxes but they cannot charge any extra.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply