Seller not able to provide return address via Ebay messaging system

I'm trying to send the item back as the seller will refund the payments however, the seller told me that he/she is not able to type the return address via ebay messaging system as "Ebay won't let you send personal addresses or emails through its mail system".

I'm not sure if this is normal or not but I really need the seller's address so that I can send the item back asap. Is there a way for seller to provide return address? Will emailing outside of ebay messaging system work? Though if I use this method, I'm guessing I won't be covered by ebay protection if anything happens?

Thank you, help would be appreciated it.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller not able to provide return address via Ebay messaging system

He sounds like a real pain to be honest. And no, his tardiness won't affect your refund on return, especially if you go through Paypal. You already have a number of his messages agreeing to refund your money so he can't suddenly turn around and say that you were too late, particularly when it's his fault you were unable to get the item to him within 14 days.

Incidentally, even email addresses which are normally stripped can be sent via eBay messages if they're created as a JPG, PNG or GIF file and attached to the message so he has no excuse not to send his address to you the same way if all else fails (which it won't). The point is there are a number of simple methods of getting around the purported specific problems he claims to be experiencing so if he continues his delaying tactics, just lodge a dispute with Paypal and only deal with him through the dispute console. Also, don't forget that you only have 45 days from the sale date to lodge your dispute so it's entirely possible that he's trying to drag it out until that period has expired.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

cq_tech
Community Member

Has the seller actually tried to send you his address via eBay messages? I know that email addresses are stripped but I'm pretty sure I've successfully posted mailing addresses in eBay messages before today without any problems at all. Ask him to try sending it and see what happens. My guess is that it will come through just fine.

If by some chance it doesn't, get him to send you his phone number, as that will definitely work. BTW, you will still be covered by Paypal buyer protection as eBay have access to all messages posted through their system.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

That's what I mean. I don't understand why the seller is not able to send his address details (not email) via ebay messages. If ebay blocked people from sending their return addresses, how on earth will people able to return items? It just doesn't make sense.

I've just asked the seller to try again... I'm not sure what his/her reply might be this time but if the seller still says he can't send his address (also for phone number as well) what should my next action be?

Update: His response is "It was the address. I add a TH to WI in wisconsin."
I don't get this...

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

If he keeps fobbing you off, your next step is to lodge a dispute with Paypal and they will give you the correct address to which you'll need to return the item. He'd be silly to let it go that far though, as he runs the risk of copping a defect for his efforts if he does.

Anyway, I've just been through some old archived eBay messages of mine and there are a couple there in which I have given my address to buyers who wanted to pick up their items, so that's proof enough for me that eBay don't strip addresses from their messages. If he continues to claim otherwise, have nothing further to do with him except via the Paypal dispute console.
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I told him to try sending his phone number as well as typing the address in different format (e.g new lines for each segment, extra spaces between street number and name etc).

If the reply is same as before, I'll raise it to paypal dispute. I don't understand what's his problem is but we've had long discussion (thanks to him not replying to my messages quickly;except for this address issue, he normally takes 2~3 days each messages I've sent him) regarding to this item where the seller specifically told me "I will refund the payments if you return the item".

That said, his return policy is "return item within 14 days and money back only"... thanks to his slow response It's been already couple of weeks since I told him the item was different from the picture/description.
Will this effect the case negatively if I manage to lodge one?

I think I'm asking unrelated question to my main one but yeah... Things are getting a bit frustrating at the moment.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

He sounds like a real pain to be honest. And no, his tardiness won't affect your refund on return, especially if you go through Paypal. You already have a number of his messages agreeing to refund your money so he can't suddenly turn around and say that you were too late, particularly when it's his fault you were unable to get the item to him within 14 days.

Incidentally, even email addresses which are normally stripped can be sent via eBay messages if they're created as a JPG, PNG or GIF file and attached to the message so he has no excuse not to send his address to you the same way if all else fails (which it won't). The point is there are a number of simple methods of getting around the purported specific problems he claims to be experiencing so if he continues his delaying tactics, just lodge a dispute with Paypal and only deal with him through the dispute console. Also, don't forget that you only have 45 days from the sale date to lodge your dispute so it's entirely possible that he's trying to drag it out until that period has expired.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Yeah, that's probably the case. I can't think of any reasons why he would sublimely avoid giving his return address.

I have around two weeks or so to lodge a dispute so I'll see if he can send his address or not by this Wednesday or something.

Thank you very much for help cq_tech, I really appreciate it. I mean without your advice, I would have missed my chance for lodging a dispute nor get a refund from this seller.
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Yeah he just replied: "I sent an email with my address and bunched the letters together and spelled out the numbers. That didn't work either? You didn't get the phone number either?".

That's it, I'm not taking his BS anymore.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Hope whatever you've purchased is worth posting back from Australia to the US via trackable post at your own cost is worth it as many sellers won't refund return postage and they can't be forced to either.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Waving madly to foxy lady!!!!

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply