Seller not going ahead with sale

Hi

I purchased a bakers rack last Saturday with a 99c starting bid and item to be picked up. The rack is local to me so I placed a bid and won it for 99c. I contacted the seller through email and he tells me he cannot find the rack and is cancelling the sale. Seems funny as he took some photos of the week before for the listing and this rack is almost two metres tall.

What can I do about this? I intended to give him some money when I picked it up because I felt bad for him.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You really can't do anything.

I am guessing he really doesn't want to sell at 99c-he was silly to list at that price actually.

But you can't force him to sell or change his story. He will have to cancel the sale & he'll get a defect for that. Punishment enough.

You can also leave feedback.

After that, don't worry about it too much. It's disappointing but you haven't actually lost anything.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Yes, not really sure why sellers feel the need to start their auctions at 99c. Only setting themselves up for dissapointment, unless of course it is a very popular item (eg iPhone).

In the earlier days of eBay you did that to get a cheaper listing fee, but not much point these days.

Obviously he doesn't want to sell it that cheap, and was not to know you would have paid an extra amount. I usually pay extra as well for pickup items that only go for a couple of dollars... they are kind enough to be home at a certain time that warrants a $10 minimum.

Just keep the title in your daily search and you'll probably see it re-listed at a later date, at a price closer to what he wants.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@austfox wrote:

Yes, not really sure why sellers feel the need to start their auctions at 99c. Only setting themselves up for dissapointment, unless of course it is a very popular item (eg iPhone).

In the earlier days of eBay you did that to get a cheaper listing fee, but not much point these days.

Obviously he doesn't want to sell it that cheap, and was not to know you would have paid an extra amount. I usually pay extra as well for pickup items that only go for a couple of dollars... they are kind enough to be home at a certain time that warrants a $10 minimum.

Just keep the title in your daily search and you'll probably see it re-listed at a later date, at a price closer to what he wants.

Because eBay insists on telling sellers that they will get higher prices if they do.

I fell for it, briefly, I'm sure many others have as well.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Yes, you're right, ebay does tell sellers it is a great way to generate interest in an item.

I don't think ebay cares that much about sellers, they don't care if someone only gets one or two dollars, it's still extra fees for them. Meanwhile, the seller would have been better off donating to the op shop rather than spend time wrapping/posting or making arrangements for pick up etc

Just as a heads up to sellers, I find that 99c on an item has actually made me hesitate to bid, especially on a pick up only item. It's not the sure fire bid generator that ebay makes it out to be. Maybe on an item being posted out it might work, where you didn't have to meet the seller.

Been looking at high chairs for when the grandkids are over. Saw some in the area at 99c but I would just feel too embarrassed going to pick up an item and paying the seller $1, yet how much should you offer? So I just didn't bid. Noticed one sold at 99c. If I had been the seller, I would not have been happy.

Sometimes I think sellers might be better off starting at eg $5 or $10 (depending on what the item is I guess), or some sum where everyone can feel happy.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply