Seller not honouring warranty promise

Please be aware that seller states in their auctions the following statement below. They however are extremely poor in their communications and only respond when asked to by Ebay admin. Essentially after their first communication with me they are once again are failing to respond. Please beware of these fake warrantties that they offer as to date they have zero worth!!!

Quoted from their auctions -

"We are that confident in our products that we offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY on all purchases, this is much more beneficial to you as a customer then the very limited 2-5 year warranty offered by the manufacturers."

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Warranties offered on eBay aren't worth the screen they are printed on. Is there something wrong with the watch you bought? How long ago did you buy it?

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Seller is registered in Australia.

How long ago did you purchase?

What is the problem with the item?

If an issue has arisen less than 6 months ago, you should still be able to make a claim under PayPal's Buyer Protection. If the estimated delivery date was less than 30 days ago, you're covered under the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Is the seller an authorised seller of Nixon watches? (Check with Nixon - https://www.nixon.com/au/en/warranty.html, and the number is 1300 782 757) If so, and if the watch is genuine, you should be covered. If it's not, or if you didn't buy through an authorised seller/dealer, you're not covered.

However... is the watch genuine? Can you take it to one of the 3 Australian stores to have it verified? If it's not, then you're entitled to a full refund under Australian Consumer Legislation and you should contact the appropriate Consumer Protection/Fair Trading agency...

My gut instinct says that these are not genuine. The seller doesn't display an ABN, and comments like "quality, authentic Nixon watches, at a fraction of the price" don't inspire one with confidence. (Genuine items can generally NOT be sold "at a fraction of the price". It's illogical, unless the item is either fake or stolen (or possibly a parallel import from a country where the items are genuinely a lot lower... not very likely).)

In fact, I can't find an ABN for a business called by this seller's name. (The genuine company is Nixon Pacific, all verified and correct.)

Just a heads'-up - you cannot name and shame on the boards. These are public boards and eBay require posters to abide by the Community Rules of Engagement and the Community Content Policy. A moderator will no doubt be along shortly to remove the seller's name from your post.

A typical item that I think is probably a fake Nixon watch is NIXON 51-30 CUSTOM mens watch CUSTOM COLOR - ALL WHITE/ GOLD. I am actually astonished that anything could think that the white band in the photo (photo number 6) is of a standard that a genuine Nixon watch woulud have; it's a mess.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

If it sounds too good to be true, it usuallly is...

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Dec 2018 purchase, just stopped working. Assume it may be the battery but that exercise will cost $75 which includes battery replacement and pressure test. All of which the seller states is covered under auction condition. The seller has told me to pay for this repair.
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Dec 2018
Just stopped working
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Does a battery come under warranty?

I don't think it does but I could be wrong?

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

As I said, rhinodisco, is this a genuine Nixon watch?

Again, as I have said... take it to one of the three official stores in Australia.

It's too late for a PayPal claim unless you purchased this after 26th December 2018. (You could claim on the basis of its being a fake if it is a fake, if you purchased after 26th December. But if it is a genuine item, then you can't misuse PayPal Buyer Protection by making a claim of Not As Described, since it was clearly working all of this time. PayPal Buyer Protection can't be used as a product warranty.)

It's far too late for a claim under eBay's MBG. Ditto re not using that as a product warranty.

If your purchase was before 26th December 2018, you should still be able to rely on Fair Trading/Consumer Protection. But make sure you have all the information with you before you contact Fair Trading / Consumer Protection in your state.

• You need to know whether or not this is a genuine item. (Have the watch assessed at one of the three official stores, and if they say it's a fake, ask for this to be stated on letterhead.)
  • You need to know whether there's any caveat in the seller's "warranty" about battery, etc.
  • You need to know whether or not the seller is an authorised dealer. (Contact Nixon as I said. If the seller is not an authorised dealer/seller, then you know that the watch is not covered under Nixon's warranty. If the seller is an authorised dealer/seller, then you will be covered for the battery under Nixon's own warranty. (1 year warranty for the battery; 5 year warranty for the movements, hands and dial.)

If this is a fake, lodge a claim with Fair Trading / Consumer Protection (or with the ACCC). Inform the seller that you will be contacting the relevant agency and also contacting the ATO.

The most important thing to take away from this is that an eBay seller can say whatever they like about a warranty... It doesn't mean much unless it is a registered Australian business, authorised to sell what they're selling. If the seller is registered overseas (in particular, China), you have no real recourse apart from making a report to ACORN. If the seller is registered in Australia, at least you can use Australian consumer legislation to report the seller through the appropriate channels. What you can't do is sit back and say, "But the auction listing said it was under warranty" and expect something to happen; you can also not rely on eBay to enforce the warranty as that is not eBay's purview and eBay is not empowered to act in that way.

You can complain to eBay about the seller for contravening eBay's Warranties policy, of course. ❝If you choose to offer a warranty against defects, you must include information about how buyers can make a claim. You're also required to clearly explain that the rights they have under your warranty are in addition to any other rights have under Australian consumer law.❞ But this would at best result in the seller being sanctioned in some way by eBay; it won't result in the warranty rights that you expected being enforced. It might give you moral satisfaction, but it won't get your watch fixed.

Go through the proper channels. (Read more here: Consumer's rights and obligation (ACCC). If you want to make a complaint through ACCC, here's the link. (Note that you will be asked to provide the business's ABN / ACN.)

IMPORTANT: If this is a genuine Nixon watch, and the seller is an authorised seller/dealer, then you have no problem. Just take it to one of the three Nixon stores in Australia and have it fixed under the manufacturer warranty.

Best of luck.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Im not sure if you can help, but I purchased an 12V inverter from an Ebay seller/manufacturer called 'lvyuanipower' and the product has failed after 6 months. The item was advertised with 12mth warranty. I have attempted contacting the seller many times over the last month both directly and via Ebay staff assistance but the will not respond at all.
This type of problem is common with Ebay unfortunately, I am sick of being dealt with dishonestly. What rights do I have please and what course of action if any can I take to obtain a replacement or refund? Thanks Paul

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply