Seller refunded on the reason 'buyer cancelled' when I didn't

tha_524391
Community Member

I bought an item off someone, after a few days I noticed they hadn't posted it yet so I messaged them about it, they replied back a day later, at this time I was busy so I couldn't check my eBay. When I went online I saw that they messaged me that they wouldn't be able to post until Monday and to let them know if I wanted a refund. I did not want a refund at all, by the time I was able to message them they had already cancelled my order and I'm absolutely furious because it was an item I've been wanting for so long, I've sent them some messages but no response back. 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

There's nothing you can do, other than leave plain, factual, non-emotive feedback.

Was it an auction item? Often sellers don't get the price they were hoping for, especially since Ebay still encourages sellers to start with a 99c price tag which is unrealistic these days.

If it was just non-auction item, then anything is possible. Perhaps they sold it on Facebook Marketplace and therefore had to find a way to back out of the transaction. 

Maybe they looked at the neutral feedback you left for another seller and decided they didn't want to risk anything. That neutral wouldn't have bothered me personally, but others are more sensitive.

All you can do is move on and wait for another seller to come along.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

It hasn't happened to me, but in the feedback of some sellers I have seen similar stories - sellers who cancel after being asked when they are going to post an item.

I only asked a seller once because the listing said she posted within 1 business day and it was already a whole week, but she quickly posted it when I asked and said her husband had been ill and wanted a lot of attention so she had been unable to post.

What did your listing say? What was the seller's handling time?

If you really want it, you can always buy it again and just wait a bit longer if the seller does not post it immediately.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Well, they told me that they were sick (I assume they were going to post it once I made the payment but then got ill) and it'd be posted on Monday which I was fine with. I'm not sure if they will post it again, it's been 2 days now and I still haven't gotten a reply so I'm really unsure of what I should do. 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

It was a bid, yeah, no one else bid but I and the item got relisted a couple of times as no one else bid, I was going to bid the other times but I never managed to make it in time to bid last minute as that's what I normally do. The total was 125 with shipping so I doubt they would've backed out on it, it's been like 2 days now without a reply, hopefully, I do end up getting a message back with an explanation on the sudden cancellation. 

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Move on. They have cancelled and refunded you. They are not going to post the item.

There is no current eBay transaction. You have been refunded. End of.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Something to consider in the future: I think you should consider using a snipe (I use Gixen) to place bids at the last minute if you are prone to missing the auctions.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I think that Gixen is the only one accepted/not blocked by eBay. I use it too. I am not prone to forgetting, but I just can't be in front of the computer all the time.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

There are a few things going on here.

First off,  with a feedback score of 5, you're looking like someone who is fairly new to ebay and you have left one neutral. Not that I am saying you should not have done that, but when you messaged this seller to ask why the item had not been posted yet, they may have feared trouble ahead. And you didn't reply at all to their message so perhaps they got nervous and decided that a cancellation might be betetr than making you wait even longer.

The reason they cancelled as 'buyer cancelled' or buyer wanted a cancellation is they can avoid a defect on their ebay account that way. If they say it was  a seller cancellation, I think that counts towards a defect, or so I have read.

If they really are sick, then it could be a cancellation just seemed like the easiest solution. You're worried that you haven't had a reply in 2 days but you yourself didn't check in to ebay for a couple of days either, when you were busy. If they are dealing with illness and don't have other items for sale, maybe they just haven't logged in either.

The basic fact though is the item is no longer currently for sale.  There is not a thing you can do about it.

What you can do is continue to look for another of whatever you bought. You no longer have a contract with the seller, that sale has been refunded, end of.

Maybe the seller will relist at a later date, maybe they won't. You need to forget this sale and move on.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I use a snipe like Gixen mostly because for overseas auctions I'm likely to be asleep, and for Oz ones I've had a few lately that have finished early in the mornings, and in this cold weather I'm not getting up too early. 🙂

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply