Seller's listing misleading?

Hi Guys,

Just would like to get some opinions. I bought this DVD a month or so ago and this was the listing:-

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302538262891

As you can see (well the image is blurred, another issue with the listing), movie title is 'Black Sabbth', and in English it states 'The Mario Bava Collection' and "Boris Karlof' and then blurb below that detailing the movie in English.. All it states on the listing further is Region 2 unless otherwise noted, which is fine, that's Europe, Japan, Middle East etc. Have a multi region player so no problems.

DVD arrived today. Went to watch it. Audio was Italian, and Dutch subtitles only. No English subtitles. 

I raised a case with eBay, and did it as 'item received doesn't match item described'. It's done it as a 'return requested'. Now note, the whole thing, including postage from the UK (Oh, the seller is UK based) was $13. To return it to the UK, the cheapest will be $20 with no tracking, so no, as I put in my dispute with eBay, I want a refund, I'm not paying postage to return it.

I did a quick search as well on the net and have found the same seller, just their US arm and not the UK one, have it listed on Amazon in the States, but they added DUTCH IMPORT to the listing, which they left off the Australian eBay listing.

They're a big seller, heaps of feedback, but I'm getting really tired of these misleading listings..

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You are not required to pay postage.

Ask eBay to step in when that option becomes available.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I think the ad is misleading.

For a seller with such a high feedback score, I was absolutely amazed at the poor quality of the photo of the item.

I can't make out half the words but the bits in larger print that I can see seem to be in English.

So yes, I'd be livid if it arrived in another language and that little fact had not been mentioned in the ad.

That's another thing with the ad, not much detail in item description and I would think if you list an item in Aust or UK (where this was listed) then yes, mentioning it is in a different language does matter.

I'd be going for an ebay 'item not as described' claim & following that exactly. I think that because the seller is in UK, you're not going to be issued with a return postage label as they can't, but I think if you follow the ebay guidelines and it is returned with tracking, ebay refunds the postage once the item has been returned (out of seller's account). At least, I think that is what happens.

You seem to have opened a claim with ebay, see what the seller responds. It may be he will prefer to make a refund without asking for a return as it may not be worth his while.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I'm quite surprised that a seller of that degree of professionalism has a picture like that. The other auctions use great pics.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Well the seller has never bothered to respond to the case that I opened at all, so eBay just ruled in my favour today and provided a refund, no return needed. 

I'm just going to work out now how I can report the listing to eBay, as on the packing slip that came with the DVD it actually has on there after the movie title - Dutch Import, so they need to update that listing to avoid other people being caught out.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Open the listing and Report Item is on the right hand side, just above the item number

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@draven281973 wrote:

Well the seller has never bothered to respond to the case that I opened at all, so eBay just ruled in my favour today and provided a refund, no return needed. 

I'm just going to work out now how I can report the listing to eBay, as on the packing slip that came with the DVD it actually has on there after the movie title - Dutch Import, so they need to update that listing to avoid other people being caught out.

Great news. I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you/. Yes I agree the seller needs to sort that listing out. Maybe too employing an extra person in customer service is the way to go/ With the issues related to corona virus, some sellers of entertainment related items have been doing very well.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Yes, I would agree there probably needs to be someone on staff to attend to customer queries.

Or someone extra. It is staggering that a big seller, with over 674,000 feedback score, did not respond to messages nor to an ebay claim. They could have solved this themselves with a quick refund but it looks as if they are just too big to care.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply