Seller sent wrong item and asked me to return saying I don’t want it

Hi all,

So the seller sent me the wrong item. They were quick to admit their mistake and refund me so that’s all good. However, they also asked me to say the reason for return is because I don’t want the item. They said that this is “in order to make a refund as quickly as possible”

In the email they agreed to pay for the post. I don’t mind doing what they asked but I don’t know if this will have any adverse effect on me, for example, I may face the possibility that they won’t pay for the post and I won’t have another way to enforce their promise?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If the seller is in Australia, get them to provide you with a return label. Which they can and should generate through eBay.

If they are not in Australia, get a quote for return postage and insist they front up the cost prior to return.

If they have already refunded you, the ball is in their court. It depends on how much they want the item back.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Your post is confusing - in the first line you say they were quick to refund you, but then you say they want you to send it back for a refund? Which one is it?

Where is the seller based/registered?

If you have not been refunded, your best bet is to open a dispute for "Not as Described". This then forces the seller to actually take action in one of two ways. If they are domestic, they must send a shipping label if they want it back, or they must refund you. If they are overseas, they must send funds upfront to cover the shipping, or refund you.

You must never be out of pocket for return postage on an item that is defective or not as described.

There are some sellers out there who promise to refund you the postage once they get it back - never happens. By opening a dispute, you make things formal and the seller has to respond or lose the case.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

…also, buyer pays for return postage for ‘change of mind’…. 

…seller pays for return postage for ‘item not as described’…..

Open an INAD case with eBay and DO NOT CLOSE IT, until the seller sent you a return postage label and has refunded you.

Come back for more assistance if needed.  

Good luck. 
💋💋J

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

jane...the OP has been refunded...I'm with davewill's answer.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

If you open a return request. there is also the option to indicate that the seller sent the wrong item, and then the seller has to pay for return postage.

If they just indicate that you changed your mind, I don't think they "have to" pay for postage, but if they want to give you a full refund, I guess they can.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@feieche_0 wrote:

Hi all,

So the seller sent me the wrong item. They were quick to admit their mistake and refund me so that’s all good. However, they also asked me to say the reason for return is because I don’t want the item. They said that this is “in order to make a refund as quickly as possible”

In the email they agreed to pay for the post. I don’t mind doing what they asked but I don’t know if this will have any adverse effect on me, for example, I may face the possibility that they won’t pay for the post and I won’t have another way to enforce their promise?

Repent, I’m not entirely sure that they have actually received a refund….. just a promise of a refund, or an indication that a refund is coming IF they quote ‘change of mind’ and send the item back.….…..….. 

I stand by my previous reply, until the OP comes back with updates 😉

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply