Seller wants me to cancel a request, so a refund can be processed

So I cancelled a purchase within an hour , and the seller accepted it.

The next day I get this message from Ebay, and it also shows on the item roder details

"Sorry, your order couldn't be cancelled because there was an issue with the refund. If you don't receive it by the estimated delivery date, please report that the item hasn't arrived"

The refund never happened.

So I waited till the end of the estimated delivery date, and clicked the link, which then opened a request.

I get this from the seller - with a screen cap

"We are writing in relation to the dispute we've received for this cancelled order.
Based on our records, the order was cancelled and refund was successfully processed.
I have attached a screenshot for your reference."

I chatted with Ebay support about this, and they just told me to wait 3 days for a response in the request

Seller later messages me again -

"This is already showing as canceled on our system.
The refund should show on your eBay account soon.
Hoping for your patience and understanding. "

Today the seller responds in the request itself -

"Hello Colin, Good morning! We tried to process the refund, however, as there is a case opened, eBay portal would not allow it to go through. Please close the case so we can issue the refund. Looking forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, Jennifer The Scorptec Team"

What should I do?

If I close the case, then I could lose all hope of a refund... but Scorptec are a established online seller and with physical shops, so I don't know....

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

No, do not close the dispute until you are completely satisfied with the outcome. Once a case is closed, that's it - it cannot be reopened.

I assume you've checked the bank account you used to fund the purchase, because that's where the money will eventually go.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

They may be an established online seller, and I am guessing 110% legit (have dealt with the bricks and mortar arm),  but even if they ask do not close the case unless you have the dollars in your hands. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

No, do not close the dispute until you are completely satisfied with the outcome. Once a case is closed, that's it - it cannot be reopened.

I assume you've checked the bank account you used to fund the purchase, because that's where the money will eventually go.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

They may be an established online seller, and I am guessing 110% legit (have dealt with the bricks and mortar arm),  but even if they ask do not close the case unless you have the dollars in your hands. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

yes I have checked the account, no money has come through

The seller replied with a screencap showing Ebay's responce

We guarantee you that the refund will be processed on our end. However, the eBay portal would not allow us to. Please see the below screenshot:

https://scorptec.zendesk.com/attachments/token/WqLZi6lLq1l9TBYOb7j67kO5R/?name=inlineImage.png

I replied, and will just wait till Ebay steps in to do the refund, if they can't do it.

thanks

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

It's nuts that they cannot refund you BECAUSE you have a case open! Especially when one resolution for the INR case is to refund in full. Maybe they are trying to process the refund incorrectly, ie via the order and not through the case? Computers are very exact in their idiocy, so while a human will be able to get the same outcome using a variety of methods, computers have to do it the way they are told.

Hopefully they figure it out, otherwise ask ebay to step in as soon as the case allows (5 business days?).

As others have said do not close the case until AFTER everything is resolved. If ebay refunds they will close it when they refund.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

This is truly strange. I’ve purchased from my local Scorptec several times; they are certainly legitimate. 

Nonetheless, if the refund’s not gone through, it’s not gone through. There should not be any difficulty in processing the refund even with the case open. I’m of the same view - that there’s been a glitch somewhere.

I would not close the case as you’ve no idea whether closing it would make any difference to the refund being able to be issued, and - as you know - a case can’t be reopened once it’s closed.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@coolcolj wrote:

So I cancelled a purchase within an hour , and the seller accepted it.

The next day I get this message from Ebay, and it also shows on the item roder details

"Sorry, your order couldn't be cancelled because there was an issue with the refund. If you don't receive it by the estimated delivery date, please report that the item hasn't arrived"

The refund never happened.

So I waited till the end of the estimated delivery date, and clicked the link, which then opened a request.

I get this from the seller - with a screen cap

"We are writing in relation to the dispute we've received for this cancelled order.
Based on our records, the order was cancelled and refund was successfully processed.
I have attached a screenshot for your reference."

I chatted with Ebay support about this, and they just told me to wait 3 days for a response in the request

Seller later messages me again -

"This is already showing as canceled on our system.
The refund should show on your eBay account soon.
Hoping for your patience and understanding. "

Today the seller responds in the request itself -

"Hello Colin, Good morning! We tried to process the refund, however, as there is a case opened, eBay portal would not allow it to go through. Please close the case so we can issue the refund. Looking forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, Jennifer The Scorptec Team"

What should I do?

If I close the case, then I could lose all hope of a refund... but Scorptec are a established online seller and with physical shops, so I don't know....

The answer is no, do not cancel. Do not cancel your claim.

I don't care how legit the company might be, it means nothing. Any company can make a mistake and this one has.

Just look at what their first response was.

Now, that's absolute rubbish and you know it is. The money isn't in your account.

They later write they can't issue a refund because there is a case opened.

The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. You're not dealing with the company, you're dealing with these staff members and they are not competent.

You keep that case opened and if in the suggested 3 days the refund has not come through, then you escalate with ebay and they will probably process that refund for you.

Next time you buy though, be very sure you want to go ahead with it so you don't land yourself in a mess with unnecessary headaches again.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

What sort of case was opened?

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply