Seller wants to refund in cash for item out of stock, not back to my Paypal account.

I recently bought two items from a Seller and paid straight away.  Four days later, I got an email from the Seller, to say that one of the items was sold, but she had sent the other and a refund for the out of stock one(I suspect she is sending me cash).  Meantime, she is still listing 3 available for this so called out of stock item, and doesn't answer my query on that fact.  She has marked both items as "posted"  I told her to refund me back to my Paypal account, but she is ignoring me.  I suspect she is trying to circumvent the rules here, by making it look like she has sent both items, and not getting into trouble with eBay for selling an item she didn't have.  I seem to have had a run of Sellers who sell me items they don't have, and last time, eBay put a hold on the refund while they investigated, I wonder if they thought I was getting a refund then dealing outside eBay.  What should I do if money arrives in the post as a refund? Get in touch with eBay?  I am really fed up with Sellers like this.  They are always full of excuses and putting the blame on everyone else but their own bad business practices.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Seller wants to refund in cash for item out of stock, not back to my Paypal account.

shoppingbag,

you are getting a refund in cash and you feel the need to complain about it?

Tell ya what folk - only on Ebay.

And to those who suggested buyer tells the seller to keep the cash and refund into PP - why?

Why burden the seller with an unnecessary default (if that's what they may get), and maybe even some fee from PP - we as buyers could do worse but help sellers who are already trying to operate in a most hostile enviroment.

This seller is far from shonk, she's refunding the money - and besides, I have had a few refunds myself in with the goods, in cash - and if anything, I was most delighted at their honesty.

Those were mainly for overpaid postage - not that it would have worried me as I knew what the postage was and agreed to buy the item, so even if they've sent it for fraction of that cost it wouldn't worry me, good luck to them - would have been happy for anyone to make a bit of extra money if they can.

And - what is wrong with trying to avoid a defect? By whose standards - Ebays? That doesn't count for anything in my books, as this seller is most certainly NOT defective!

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Re: Seller wants to refund in cash for item out of stock, not back to my Paypal account.

I declare this week "Unlucky Buyers Week". I don't think I've seen so many unlucky buyers in one week. 

I've had to refund a few buyers for excess postage and I always ask them if they want a refund into their PayPal account or for me to send the cash. They have all opted for the cash. Some people are just hard to please I guess.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

I declare this week "Unlucky Buyers Week". I don't think I've seen so many unlucky buyers in one week.

On close examination it appears that most of this weeks crop of  'unlucky buyers' is only one buyer with an awful lot of bad luck.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

On close examination it appears that most of this weeks crop of  'unlucky buyers' is only one buyer with an awful lot of bad luck.

Smiley SurprisedSmiley LOL

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Maybe I can't get to the bank to put the money back in my account and need it there to buy something else. Does anybody ever give helpful advice on here or just criticism?
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Instead of using EFTpos to pay for your groceries next time, why not use the cash refund you're getting? Then you could transfer what you would have used for groceries into PayPal, to buy whatever you need/want to buy next. That's what I'd do if I couldn't get to the bank.

Did you also know that if PayPal is linked up to a bank account or credit card, if there is no money in PayPal, it will just come out of your account? 

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

I pay cash for groceries and don't do internet banking, apart from paypal which is linked to an account with a very small balance. Advised by someone who knows.
Message 17 of 17
Latest reply