Seller wants to refund in cash for item out of stock, not back to my Paypal account.

I recently bought two items from a Seller and paid straight away.  Four days later, I got an email from the Seller, to say that one of the items was sold, but she had sent the other and a refund for the out of stock one(I suspect she is sending me cash).  Meantime, she is still listing 3 available for this so called out of stock item, and doesn't answer my query on that fact.  She has marked both items as "posted"  I told her to refund me back to my Paypal account, but she is ignoring me.  I suspect she is trying to circumvent the rules here, by making it look like she has sent both items, and not getting into trouble with eBay for selling an item she didn't have.  I seem to have had a run of Sellers who sell me items they don't have, and last time, eBay put a hold on the refund while they investigated, I wonder if they thought I was getting a refund then dealing outside eBay.  What should I do if money arrives in the post as a refund? Get in touch with eBay?  I am really fed up with Sellers like this.  They are always full of excuses and putting the blame on everyone else but their own bad business practices.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Seller wants to refund in cash for item out of stock, not back to my Paypal account.

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You seem to be having a lot of problems with your sellers....this is the second thread you have started tonight.

I really can't offer any advice on this thread.  If I get a refund for an out of stock item I would just accept it and try another seller.

But in all honesty I have only had it happen on a couple of occasions in over 12000 transactions.   Maybe I am lucky or I pick my sellers more carefully.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Yes while most of my transactions go quite smoothly, I have had a bad run over the last few days, quite fed up really. I buy lots of stuff from all around the world, and treat my sellers very well.  In the last few days I have had two problems.  It is a really long time since I have had a problem prior to this.  There does appear to be some very rude comments on this forum by some people which I don't appreciate at all. Some people should keep their rude remarks to themselves. These forums are supposed to be for us to help each other not to start trouble and say nasty things, I guess some people just can't help themselves, it's inbuilt in their nature.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

???? Rude comments?????

Thank you!!!!

I will leave it to the other rude posters to answer you in furture.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Sounds to me like the OP's seller wants to avoid a defect by not refunding through Paypal. I'd tell her that she could keep the cash refund and also claim a refund via Paypal as well, except I'd probably be called rude too, so I simply won't bother. TSFE, perhaps?

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I don't know what type of scam you think the seller is pulling, if they do send you cash then they are the ones leaving the door wide open to be scammed. If they do only send one item with no refund then you can start to get annoyed and open an item not as described dispute in Paypal, there is a specific category for incomplete orders.

It appears that you have had more problems (many of which have not yet became problematic) in a very short time thsn I have had in over a decade of using ebay.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Why waste your time?

If the cash arrives take it and move on, buy elsewhere.Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

LOL. Only a true eBayer/online shopper is going to be upset at getting refunded in cash vs refunded to Paypal. 

The seller probably thought they were doing the OP a favour sending cash, clearly a mistake on their part, if the OP is ill and can't get out atm then I understand why she'd rather the refund be credited to paypal.

All the same, cash is just not appreciated like it used to be pre-internet.  Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

I recently bought two items from a Seller and paid straight away.  Four days later, I got an email from the Seller, to say that one of the items was sold, but she had sent the other and a refund for the out of stock one(I suspect she is sending me cash).  Meantime, she is still listing 3 available for this so called out of stock item, and doesn't answer my query on that fact.  She has marked both items as "posted"  I told her to refund me back to my Paypal account, but she is ignoring me.  I suspect she is trying to circumvent the rules here, by making it look like she has sent both items, and not getting into trouble with eBay for selling an item she didn't have.  I seem to have had a run of Sellers who sell me items they don't have, and last time, eBay put a hold on the refund while they investigated, I wonder if they thought I was getting a refund then dealing outside eBay.  What should I do if money arrives in the post as a refund? Get in touch with eBay?  I am really fed up with Sellers like this.  They are always full of excuses and putting the blame on everyone else but their own bad business practices.

Why should you feel the need to get in touch with ebay?   The seller is not doing anything wrong, on the contrary they are trying to make it right for you, after an oversight on their part.

As pointed out above ^^^ sellers now get a defect if they refund for an out of stock item and that's what this seller is trying to avoid - very understandable really.  

I think it would be nice of you  if you wait to get the parcel, and the refund, say thank you and leave positive feedback because after all you got your money back.   

It would be your good turn of the month.   Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

What should I do if money arrives in the post as a refund? Get in touch with eBay?  I am really fed up with Sellers like this.  They are always full of excuses and putting the blame on everyone else but their own bad business practices.

Put it in the bank and think "Thank God that didn't turn into a drama".

Look, there is a newish defect system being applied by eBay and it is scaring a lot of sellers. Even the very best sellers are getting defects for "doing the right thing"

It is highly likely that they are doing their best to do the right thing by you without eBay harming their business and their future on eBay. People are just doing the best they know how to do during uncertain times, Trying to protect their best match ranking, ward off defects and all the other **bleep** that eBay throws a seller's way,

In the current environment, at least until the dust settles and people become more secure in their positions here on eBay and more comfortable with how things work, a kind thing to do in this instance would be to bank the money and let the rest slide. This last year has seen a LOT of changes for sellers on eBay and produced a lot of uncertainty, and the fun hasn't stopped yet, still another round to go.

It doesn't seem they have made excuses, and if the refund is forthcoming, was issued voluntarily, so its not like they were trying to scam you.

As for the current listing of the same item. Maybe when they prepared your item for dispatch, they couldn't find it, thought they had run out, and since found them, or maybe even received more stock. But as it seems they have already sent you a refund, aren't prepared to send you another item and are embarrassed to ask you to repurchase before the first refund arrives. (meaning you will temporarily be out of pocket 2 lots of money).

Step back, take a deep breath, concentrate on getting well and dealing with the transactions where there really is a problem.

Finally, instead of putting the horse before the cart, don't jump the gun, wait until your package does arrive, there could be a much more detailed explanation in there, maybe even some kind of recompense for the inconvenience. Deal with issues as they actually arrive, especially as you are not well at the moment. All this worry and concern before you know the full story, will just hinder your road to recovery.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply