Sellers have all the power

Hi all.

Most sellers are not going to like this rant but like dishonest buyers there are too many dishonest sellers out there.

This is the end result of a recent dispute with one such seller:

Seller is untrustworthy, this sort of problem is happening too often on Ebay - it is starting to give Ebay a bad name and rightly it should.
Sellers are using EBay's terms of return against buyers by holding off to the last minute in replying to buyers or other stalling tactics which results in going past the 45 day threshold thereby making it impossible to start a dispute and losing any chance of redress. Also, sellers can send any **bleep** they want to buyers resulting in a dispute or requiring the return of an item, under EBay's policy, for inspection and/or refund AT THE BUYERS COST which ultimately costs MORE than the item, leaving the buyer with nothing but a debt and the seller with the item back to sell to another unknowing buyer to be ripped off.

Now in this instance I received the item just before the 45 days expired but it still didnt come with all the agreed items so I needed to vent my frustrations.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I think you are right in we are often hearing of some sellers who try to delay things past the 45 days.

Knowing what i do now, I would never allow that to happen.

If the item isn't there within the month, I would start a dispute claim against them, no matter what they said or promised.

It can be disappointing to have to pay return postage and it would turn me off buying overseas or where postage costs would be very high for a return.

But this happens on other buying sites too. I recently bought an air fryer on Groupon and although brand new, it was a dud, stopped working after 10 minutes. Groupon was very helpful and gave me a list of drop off centres where I could return it and it would be posted back free of charge. That was good, although it involved me driving a couple of suburbs away.

But here's the thing. Although return postage was free, Groupon only refunded me the cost of the item, not the original postage I paid. So I was still out $10.

You have to cross your fingers things go right, don't you, or you end up out of pocket.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

You should never allow a seller to stall you. They can try all they want, but at the end of the day they can't stall anything unless you let them. Always open a dispute before day 45, once you open it you then have a further 20 days to escalate it to a claim. That said, as of November 14th Paypal is increasing the time to open a not received or not as described dispute to 180 days.

Also, as of yesterday (November 1st) eBay's 30 day money back guarantee has come into effect, and if claim is made through that avenue for not as described the seller is required by eBay to pay for the return postage or else lose the case by default (and it's 30 days from when you received it, or from the maximum estimated time for delivery). 

So it's a good thing you have had your rant now, as you won't have reason to any longer... sellers on the otherhand... Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

think its 180 days now

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

There will be buyers who will abuse this new 180 day- 6 month policy and this could drive sellers away from selling on ebay eventually.Thats what i predict anyway.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

I'm sorry you lost out on this transaction however,

all the power was in your hands.

Paypal provided (pre Nov) a free Buyer Protection service to every buyer..

you only had to open adispute for non receipt of goods within the 45 day time frame, and you then had a furthr 20 days to escalate to claim your $$ back

Sellers on the other hand have to pay a fee to paypal to accept the money and then have to ensure they follow rules about how an item is sent.

ALL changed on Nov.1 so make sure you read the new terms and conditons before making more transactions online.

Same if you purchsded your item from Target or Bunnings Store, you have to pay your own petrol / bus ticket to go back to the store with the item.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

@ytwo000 wrote:

There will be buyers who will abuse this new 180 day- 6 month policy and this could drive sellers away from selling on ebay eventually.Thats what i predict anyway.

The extended claim time for PayPal Buyer Protection comes into effect from 18th November and applies to PayPal wherever it is used, not just eBay.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

so what happens if i sold eg,a ride on law mower on some other site (any site other than ebay) and the buyer paid via paypal and picks it up?.they can say to paypal "i never got my mower" and get their money back? or dose this only apply if postage is involved?..

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Hello, i do agree in part, the problem now is us honest sellers are copping the flack from buyers over the simplest things because they have been either rip off or hard done by by these scammers, it's very unfair to us honest sellers.

Buyers have to learn to take each transaction on it's own merit and not lump all sellers into the same basket.Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Your thread title "Sellers have all the power" Smiley LOL Cat LOL Man LOL Robot LOL Woman LOL

Really?Oh my,you're not from around here are you?

You had the power to exercize your rights & you didn't.You should have informed yourself & you didn't.Oh well a lesson learned is valuable in itself.

Sellers are puppets for  eBay's coffers& iron fisted policies. Also at the whim of buyers who don't read the listing & are trigger happy with the Neg gun.Hey buyers don't need to be responsible for their own likes or dislikes/changing of mind/updating their address/payments/sizing etc etc.eBay holds the buyers hand if anything goes wrong or even if you have a bad mood that day.

Now we have the Money Back Guarantee & the pecking order is-

eBay- has a big stick, Swiss bank accounts ,no actual product & a lot of lawyers.

Buyers-also have a big stick,free stuff & are afterglowing.

Asian sellers- of $1 items & free post & bad sales history.Many unhappy customers.

Big name store owners-who do not have advertized items in stock & terrible eBay sales history.Many unhappy customers.

Store owner or casual seller-has items,pays a lot of fees, has to grab ankle & hope all the above use lubricant at least.

All the power indeed...

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply