Sellers using Buy it Now and higher start bids...

I've been a member for a very long time, and one concerning thing I've noticed more and more is that sellers

are using Buy it Now as well as as much higher starting bids than before. In the majority, sellers would often 

have low start amount. 

One of the great attributes of Ebay has always been bidding is open to everyone. And in a way it's a fairly

democratic market place where anyone can have a go, have a chance at winning..an equal playing ground

from the start. Over the last few years, certain market niches have become premium and high end selling,

and in many cases items are listed with 3, 4 or 5 hundred start points or Buy it Nows. The $1 or even $10 dollar 

start with 'No Reserve' is largely gone, which makes the market a place where only the premium buyers get 

the best opportunity. 

So the Sellers will say, 'so what?' thats the way the market operates. No it doesn't. It locks other members of the

Ebay 'community' from competing on an equal footing. Sellers will always want to get the highest price, but setting 

start bids at exhorbatant prices cuts most people out of the equation, which is whats intented I guess, so it 

comes down to greed pure and simple.

Comparing the same kinds of items with Ebay US and UK, these market places still practice the low start bid, but  not

here in Australia. Prices are very much higher. I wonder.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Sellers using Buy it Now and higher start bids...

I've got 50 items here that I paid $10 each for. I was going to list them to auction with a start bid of $15. Just for you, I'll list them for a buy it now of $1 with free postage. That way you can feel happy in the knowledge YOU got greedy and ripped a seller off, while I pay out of my own pocket for your greed. After all, eBay is the place of bargains and cheap auctions isn't it? Doesn't matter if a seller only gets $50 for $500 worth of items, so long as the buyer gets a bargain. Don't you think?

Pffft.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

"I've been a member for a very long time".

With a feedback rating of only 24 in ten years, you're not a particularly active one. However sellers are pricing their items, it can't have impacted you very much...

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

I give you 10/10 for the funniest thread Woman LOL

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply