Should my refund for a faulty item include the postage cost as well?

Hi, I bought an item of clothing advertised as brand new, which has a hole in it.  After contacting the seller, they apologised and offered to refund the cost of the item but not the postage.  The postage cost is minimal but it's more the principle that bothers me.  I bought something advertised as being brand new but which is faulty, and now I'm out of pocket for the postage?  Is this right?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Should my refund for a faulty item include the postage cost as well?

If they are offering the cost of the item as a refund without return, and are not receptive or agreeable to covering all postage costs (both ways), I would probably consider accepting that, since if they have to be forced to provide a full refund of original payment, they are unlikely to give the return costs back and you would be in pretty much the same position (financially), but with more time and effort to get there. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I'm in exactly that position now, purchased a netbook the seller assured me had 100% functional battery (I asked prior to bidding) only to find on arrival the battery doesn't hold a charge at all and the netbook is completely useless unless attached to the mains power.

I'm peeved that I have to pay shipping to/from all because they misrepresented the item but in the end getting the purchase price back beats a kick in the pants (negative feedback for this seller for sure). 

Free Web Proxy

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

hi

do not return anythiung unless you do so through a PayPal claim and at their discression.

Should you win this cliam, you will be rewarded the original postage cost and cost of the item, but the return of the item by trackable post will be at your expoense.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If they are offering the cost of the item as a refund without return, and are not receptive or agreeable to covering all postage costs (both ways), I would probably consider accepting that, since if they have to be forced to provide a full refund of original payment, they are unlikely to give the return costs back and you would be in pretty much the same position (financially), but with more time and effort to get there. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I'm in exactly that position now, purchased a netbook the seller assured me had 100% functional battery (I asked prior to bidding) only to find on arrival the battery doesn't hold a charge at all and the netbook is completely useless unless attached to the mains power.

I'm peeved that I have to pay shipping to/from all because they misrepresented the item but in the end getting the purchase price back beats a kick in the pants (negative feedback for this seller for sure). 

Free Web Proxy
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. It still irks me though! Thanks for your reply ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Hi, so frustrating that you're out of pocket for shipping but I guess that's the difference between walking into a shop to purchase something vs online. Thanks for your reply, hope you get your battery sorted.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Yep. I kind think that that is the risk you take for being able to sit at the dining room table in your pyjamas and shop and have it delivered to your door.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

If you go through Paypal, and that is the only way you should return it, then you will get back your whole payment and will only be out the return postage which is annoying but unless you buy from one of the many sellers who say they will cover return postage if goods are faulty then you are stuck with that.

As a seller if there is a repairable fault I will give the buyer the option of a refund of the item price only and they get to keep it or I will refund in full paying for the return if that is their pleasure.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply