Solar panels

Hi guys I deed purchase a solar panels from eBay  about 2 years a go and the glass on two panel shatter and two star burnt ,I contact the seller I did send picture ,and is said the panels have only 1 year warranty .

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Solar panels

There is no warranty at all  on eBay, unless you buy from an authorised seller registered in Australia

Even if this seller was, you have said yourself you were told the 'warranty' was one year

I'm not sure what your question is for other members But I do hope you can the panels removed before they cause a fire

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Solar panels

Well, they have very bad feedback (95.3%).

Sadly, there is nothing you can do after 2 years.

It is better to buy such items from a reputable B&M store.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Solar panels

Like the others have pointed out,  if its 2 years ago and the warranty is one year.  Me thinks even if it was a valid warranty you are over the 1 year limit.

But,  not all solar panels are covered if they shatter,  could have being a tree falling on them, boulder sized hail,  you get the drift.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Solar panels

Solar panels should last more than 2 years. What you bought were obviously rubbish, poor quality.

You will not be able to make a claim on ebay, or any other way.

Ebay warranties are generally useless in any case.

You have lost your money, sorry. What you need to do next is get those panels removed and if you want solar panels, go to some reputable companies and get quotes. Do not buy them through ebay. You will pay more this way but you should end up with better quality ones that will last several years. 

Also ask about warranties before you buy. 

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Solar panels

@springyzone wrote:

Solar panels should last more than 2 years. What you bought were obviously rubbish, poor quality.

You will not be able to make a claim on ebay, or any other way.

Ebay warranties are generally useless in any case.

You have lost your money, sorry. What you need to do next is get those panels removed and if you want solar panels, go to some reputable companies and get quotes. Do not buy them through ebay. You will pay more this way but you should end up with better quality ones that will last several years. 

Also ask about warranties before you buy. 

My place of employment is currently in the process of installing nearly 9,000 solar panels over multiple buildings. Work started towards the end of September. On Christmas day we had a hail storm with golf ball and tennis ball sized hail. Over 1/3 of the already installed panels were smashed (as were around 100 cars in the carpark, most of which were written off).

Countless houses around town lost their solar due to them being smashed. Doesn't mean they were rubbish or poor quality. It means we got hammered with a hail storm that hit when we weren't even forecast rain. Maybe the OP got hit with a storm, which smashed their panels. Given they are unlikely to come back, we'll never know.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Solar panels

The seller named sells garbage and a lot of feedback to say as much

So in this case it's a fair guess that the OP got what the paid for in regard to junk from a seller not authorised to be selling solar panels in the first place

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Solar panels

I didn't see the seller's name before it was obviously removed, so I didn't know who they were. What I do know is, there are lots of people around town here, including my place of employment, who are really unhappy that they have smashed solar panels!

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Solar panels

I understand your point & you are absolutely right. Anything smashed in a hailstorm, such as panels, cars etc, does not make those objects rubbish. They could be top quality.

I got the feeling though, from flora, that she felt in her case they were faulty panels. Not only did she have a couple of panels shattered but she also had a couple that had burnt out?

She never mentioned a storm. A storm might shatter some panels but whether it would cause another couple to burn out, I don't know. But she never mentioned a storm. The fact she took photos & the tone of the message says to me that she believes these to be faulty panels, not storm damaged panels.

Like you, I doubt panels are covered under guarantee for shattering, even if they were still under warranty. I also have strong doubts that even if they were supposedly under warranty, that an ebay warranty off a random seller would be honoured.

It is interesting that the answer the seller sent her only says that there is a 1 year warranty. He knew very well she was out of time. But he never added the rider that shattered panels are not covered in any case. Most reputable companies would.

I strongly suspect she bought sub quality panels. Of course, i could be wrong.

Flora though is (I think) asking for help in what to do next.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything she can do.

But in her place, I sure wouldn't be buying my next lot of panels off a random ebay seller.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Solar panels

95. something % and most negs were for faulty junk, some of those being dodgy solar panels 

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply