Standard International Postage

3 weeks ago I bought Item number:280265136072 from the UK. By today I was starting to get a bit worried as it should have arrived by now. According to the listing it was sent by standard international postage.

I contacted the seller saying that the item hadn't arrived and I was getting a bit worried about the parcel, as usually parcels to me from the UK take about 2 weeks.

This is the reply I got
"I sent it using surface mail it does take quite a few weeks to get delivered the quicker way would have cost double postage as all uk postage price have changed its all about size and weight its mad not be worth buying stuff online as postage will cost more than items
sorry I cant give you a date but I am sure you will get it."

I sent a reply saying that it would have been nice to be informed that they were going to be sending the parcel via surface mail as according to Royal Mail, surface mail takes up to 12 weeks to Australia and they should have stated in the listing it was going to be sent via surface mail rather than air as to me standard international postage means air mail. I also mentioned that PayPal only give 45 days for a buyer to claim if an item hasn't arrived so sending it by surface mail defeats the purpose.

The funny thing is I would gave paid more postage for air but the seller didn't ask if I wanted to as they shipped it by surface mail.

What feedback would you give the seller in this case?
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Standard International Postage

Standard International Mail is indeed surface mail from the UK. If it was purchased through the UK site so has ebay buyer protection then you should still open a Paypal dispute within the 45 days and escalate in another 19 but ebay may find in the buyer's faviour if their estimated delivery is over that timescale however if you contact them again after the estimated date you give them you will get your refund.  This is what happened with my claim from a Canadian seller who claimed they  had sent surface mail.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

PJ, the item was purchased through ebay.com.au so the terms and conditions which apply to this sale will be the Australian ones, and have nothing to do with UK ebay's buyer protection.

Also, as far as the seller's estimated delivery is concerned, it clearly applies to air mail...

Delivery: Estimated between Mon. 24 Jun. and Thu. 27 Jun.

All good intentions aside, the seller has done the wrong thing by posting via surface mail and the OP really has no choice but to claim INR as most of us have stated above, then to repay the seller once the goods have ultimately arrived (assuming that they do).

If the OP doesn't do this, they run the risk of losing their money altogether.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

clwwatche
Community Member
I have international package tracking number rr715041725pl- ordered on Feb. 22nd. Was given March 2nd. Thru March 16th for my order to arrive. Tracking info says "in transit". I did also send e-mail to sender that have not received item yet
Aggravating.
Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

clwwatche
Community Member

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

What was the item No and where was it coming from?

That tracking shows the origin as Poland and the destination USA..................

By the way you would have been better off starting a new thread on this as members often don't read 2 year old threads.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

@beasbooteek wrote:

Standard International Mail is indeed surface mail from the UK. If it was purchased through the UK site so has ebay buyer protection then you should still open a Paypal dispute within the 45 days and escalate in another 19 but ebay may find in the buyer's faviour if their estimated delivery is over that timescale however if you contact them again after the estimated date you give them you will get your refund.  This is what happened with my claim from a Canadian seller who claimed they  had sent surface mail.

Are you sure about that? If we are talking Royal Mail then according to their website:

International Standard

Our cost effective, reliable standard international service. We aim to deliver items to Europe within 3 to 5 working after posting and rest of world destinations within 5 to 7 working days after posting.Letters may be sent up to 100g, parcels up to 2kg and Printed Papers up to 5kg.

My understanding/experience is that Royal Mail International Standard is the new name for what was Airmail Small Packets.

The slow service is called Royal Mail International Economy (up to 8 weeks outside Europe).

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

@chezzy wrote:

Are you sure about that? If we are talking Royal Mail then according to their website:

International Standard

Our cost effective, reliable standard international service. We aim to deliver items to Europe within 3 to 5 working after posting and rest of world destinations within 5 to 7 working days after posting.Letters may be sent up to 100g, parcels up to 2kg and Printed Papers up to 5kg.

My understanding/experience is that Royal Mail International Standard is the new name for what was Airmail Small Packets.

The slow service is called Royal Mail International Economy (up to 8 weeks outside Europe).

Errr, maybe it was the old name 18 or so months ago........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Padi - good point - I must admit I don't know the 'old' name for slow boat/surface from the UK as I only ever used Airmail small Packets - and now International Standard/Signed/Tracked.

Am curious to know what was specified in the listing. Certainly the seller should have ran it by the buyer before sending!

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

AT008312790DE
Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

This thread was started nearly 6 years ago......... and hasn't seen the light of day since 2015

What is the purpose of dragging it up???

DEAD THREAD

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply