Startrack Couriers lost my item!

cq_tech
Community Member

I'm pretty angry at the moment, and this is quite an involved tale of woe, so you might have to bear with me. Last week I bought a $1000 item (a 55" large screen TV) from NSW and on Tuesday, July 1, Startrack Couriers attempted delivery at 1355 but I'd unfortunately stepped out for half an hour at around the same time and missed them, so they left a card in my letterbox. I rang them that afternoon and arranged redelivery for the next day, but although I stayed in all day Wednesday, nobody turned up so I rang them again late in the afternoon.

The operator promised that she'd have somebody call me the next day (Thursday) but I heard nothing, and despite staying in all day yet again, there was still no redelivery, so I once again rang them and they promised that it would be delivered on Friday, and that they would also ring me to let me know roughly what time to expect the courier. You guessed it, yet again nobody rang and nobody had turned up by 3:00pm so I rang them on Friday afternoon and got stuck into the male operator and abused them for not keeping me informed despite their promises, and especially for giving me the runaround re my delivery, as I'd stayed in every day this week even though I had important things to do and items to get off in the post.

After I'd hurled all sorts of abuse at the fellow, I calmed down and told him that it wasn't personal, but I'd had it with Startrack as it looked like I wouldn't get my item until next Monday at the earliest. While I was on the phone with him, he made some enquiries and discovered that the reason that nobody had been in touch was because when the driver got back from his initial run on the Tuesday of the first attempted delivery, he hadn't logged the item off his truck and back into the depot, and it appeared that they had now lost my $1000 item! That's as much as I currently know, as somebody was yet again supposed to call me late Friday afternoon to let me know the current disposition of the investigation into the whereabouts of my item, and needless to say, nobody bothered calling me yet again. I should also point out that on each occasion I rang them, I was on hold for between 18 and 22 minutes every bloody time, something else I complained to them about!

I'm now at a loss to know exactly what to do. Should I lodge an INR dispute with Paypal? And who is ultimately responsible for this debacle, Startrack Couriers or the seller? I'm talking about financial responsibility, as although it's the seller who wears the dispute, the actual responsibility for the loss of my item is Startrack, but I assume it's up to the seller to sort it out with them, and not me, correct? I guess I'm curious to know what others would do given the same circumstances. Of course, the item may well turn up on Monday and eventually be redelivered but I'm thinking if they haven't found it after searching for more than 5 days, it's entirely possible that somebody has walked off with it and it's gone for good. I'd also love to know why the bloody driver didn't log it off his truck the same day he failed to deliver it, as it doesn't look too good for him under the circumstances.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

CQ, my OH is a StarTrack courier.....has been since StarTrack and AaE were amalgamated.  They are ultimately owned by....wait for it....Australia Post, and known as Blue Post.

If the scenario you have mentioned had happened in Sydney I can guarantee that the original driver would have been given the boot...drivers have been sacked for less.  To be honest, it could not happen in the Sydney depot as there are security guards inspecting the vehicles as they leave the depot morning and night.  If it was left on the truck it would have been picked up by the Security bods.

Have you checked the tracking number on the StarTrack site?  Keep a record of what it says just in case you need it in the future....and make sure you keep the original card that was left as it should have the driver/run ID.

This might be a longshot, but have you checked at your post office?  When an item cannot be delivered to a private address the driver can (and should) deliver it to the PO where it should be signed for by staff.  If that does not happen then it should be returned to the base and signed in by the supervisor.   It should then be signed out again the next day, or whenever the redelivery is supposed to occur.

It is a pity you are not in Sydney.....I could get you past the phone drones and onto the supervisors. lol

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

Funny you should mention Lyndal, as I did check the tracking data on their website, and I actually took a screen shot because the bar graph at the top states that the item has been delivered, yet both the Consignment Tracking and Consignment Summary data indicate an unsuccessful delivery, so I think it's fairly safe to say that what I have is documentary evidence that the item was scanned on board for delivery on July 1, but never scanned off.

According to the various people to whom I've spoken since, it was never scanned back into the depot either, so nobody has the faintest idea where it is right now. I don't know who should carry the most blame, but the driver certainly failed to do his job properly and as a result, everything else has been thrown into turmoil. You're right, he should be sacked for failing to do his job properly, especially with a $1000 item as large as the one he was meant to deliver.

I haven't checked the Post Office because nobody suggested that would even be a possibility, but if it had been dropped off at the local LPO, surely the driver would have made an entry in his log to show that he'd done so. Besides, he'd be unable to carry it on his own, as it's a 55" large screen TV and the carton would stand almost 6 feet tall. I'm really wondering now if the possibility exists that the driver himself has decided that he'd really like a new TV and has stolen the thing.

It's a shame I'm not in Sydney as you say,. Lyndal, because I'm beyond frustrated by the runaround I'm getting from all the different phone staff I've been speaking with, and they don't appear to know anything, nor do they seem to have the inclination to find out. For a courier company which is owned by AP, I'm thoroughly disgusted at the appalling service I've suffered to date and would never recommend them to anybody based on my own experience. In fact, I'd actively warn people off them as I'd hate for anybody else to go through what I've been through these last 5 days.

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

If the driver has taken it then he is also without a job....StarTrack does not tolerate theft at all.  They would alo hand it to the police...I've seen it happen.

Late last year all the drivers had to sign a document to say that they understood the new security measures that had been put in place.  This was a first and last warning....break the rules even once and you were out on your ear.   And there were drivers suspended and sacked for very minor transgressions such as missing scanning a small parcel onto the vehicle or back into the depot if undeliverable..

If it does not turn up on Monday I would suggest it is worth a trip to the depot if it is at all possible.  If you have to communicate by phone ask to speak to a Dispatch Supervisor.....they know far more than the phone drones who can only check the scanning events in the computer, which is what you can see for yourself on the tracking site.

If this had been happening in Sydney I know exactly what would happen once it was handed to the Dispatch Supervisor...he takes no prisoners.

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

Well Lyndal, if it eventuates that the driver did steal it I'd certainly expect Startrack to report it to the police, as "theft as a servant" is an extremely serious offence in anybody's book. Of course, I realise I'm getting ahead of myself as that may not be the case at all, but I will agree that it's not looking good for the driver right now.

At the very least if he's breached company guidelines (and it would appear that by not scanning the item back into the depot that's precisely what he's done) then he certainly should lose his job as a consequence, and the way I'm feeling right now, I'll be making it my life's mission to ensure that happens.

I think I'll be ringing them again first thing Monday morning and if they still haven't found it by that time, then I'd suggest that it probably has been stolen and I'll be contacting the police myself to report the possibility. In addition, I will be lodging a Paypal dispute with DSE, the seller of my $1000 TV, and they can take it up with Startrack instead, as it's simply not my responsibility to be chasing it up.

To say that I'm thoroughly disgusted and appalled by Startrack's extremely lax security at their Darra depot would be an understatement, and I'll also be making a written complaint in the strongest possible terms to Startrack's CEO. It's reached the stage now where I just want my goods, and I no longer care any more whose head has to roll to make that happen.
Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

cq - have you contacted the seller and asked them to contact startrack and chase it up for you?

It is most unlikely it has been stolen by the driver but is most likely tucked away in a corner of their depot somewhere and nobody has made a real effort to locate it.

Lodging an INR with Paypal is not really the answer at this stage. If the seller can provide proof of postage (as proof of delivery is not required within Australia) then the Buyer Protection Policy may not apply.

I understand it is really frustrating but at this stage you are best to work with both the seller and startrack so your purchase can be located and delivered to you.

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

My son in law works as a courier driver and has been to the Darra depot numerous times. He said security there is VERY tight coming in and going. Every time he's been there he goes through security who check things out with a fine tooth comb.

He did say they literally have thousands upon thousands of items going in every day so it could be very possible that the item is sitting in a corner somewhere. Apparently they can have pallets and pallets stacked up of stuff.

Hope your item turns up.

So frustrating for you.

Edit: he suggests you talk to a supervisor, go up as high as you can to get answers.

photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

I am pleased to see that the security is as good in Queensland as it is in Sydney Grumpy Cat.

And yes, talking to a Dispatch Supervisor is the way to go.

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

I've been unable to contact the seller because it's still he weekend, Jen, but believe me, I'll be doing that first thing Monday, and it'll be via phone rather than email so I can't simply be ignored or put off. I've done as much as I possibly can right up until Friday evening and so far I'm completely underwhelmed by the assistance being given by Startrack, so come Monday I'll be taking it as far as I possibly can. There is nothing more frustrating than having people promise to ring you then failing to do so. That, and having to stay in for 3 whole days last week has really put me on the offensive.

As an aside, if it came to a claim and Paypal sided with the seller, I wouldn't be able to contact the FOS fast enough! 😞
Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

I sincerely hope your son-in-law is right about Startrack's security at the Darra depot, Grumpy. I'd hate to think that my item has been stolen from under their noses without anybody knowing about it. As I said, it's in an absolutely huge carton so it's not the sort of thing that you could shove up your jumper, nor even put in the back of a normal car.

Will definitely be trying to get hold of the Dispatch Supervisor on Monday morning, too. Thanks for that.
Message 10 of 40
Latest reply