THE GLOBAL SHIPPING FIASCO - JUST POSTED THIS ON US FORUM TELLING SELLERS WHY THEY ARE LOSING SALES!

SELLERS WHY YOU ARE LOSING SALES WITH THE GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM! [ New ]

I live in Australia & am having lots of problems with the Global Shipping Program.

I phoned ebay today to voice my disapproval & ask for help, but they could not help.

The Global Shipping Program apparently DOES NOT allow combined shipping for multiple items Nor does it allow Free shipping.

It actually charges 2 lots of shipping fees.  It charges to ship within the USA to a point & then charges again to ship from that point to the destination.

As a seller, if you ship via your local avenues (USPS ETC)  it is much cheaper as there is only a single shipping charge.

If you are worried about insurance not being available with 1st class mail, ask your buyer to purchase using Auction Sniper & add insurance (which is what I do when the seller is concerned).  Insurance through auction sniper is about 85c per $100 coverage.

This morning I wanted to buy a very lightweight small item = 1-2 ounces.  It was $18.95 & shipping via the Global Shipping Program was $31.66 which is disgusting.  (1st class mail via USPS for 3oz is approx $9).

I'd already purchased a larger item from the same seller a couple of days ago & this small item would fit in the same box with the larger item & did not increase the initial shipping charge.  
The seller was happy to combine it for me. as it meant that he was getting a further sale that he would not have got otherwise!

The seller changed the listing for the 2nd small item to FREE POSTAGE but Global Shipping still wanted to charge me the shipping cost.

Ebay advised that Global Shipping does not allow FREE shipping, NOR does it allow COMBINED shipping.  They were unable to help.

Several times just this week, I've purchased on non-ebay sites due to this Global shipping Program & its problems.

As sellers you are losing customers.  

Ebay say it is making it easier to ship globally but it is making it too expensive & complicated & once you have listed using this program you can't change it.

AS A BUYER, I PLEASE ASK SELLERS NOT TO USE THIS GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM ESPECIALLY FOR LOWER PRICED SMALL ITEMS!  It may be ok for larger items but I'm usually buying craft items which are low priced & combining purchases gives the best deal to me for shipping.

I have been avoiding sellers who use the Global Shipping Program due to the cost & problems & I know of many others who are doing the same.

My online purchases used to be about 95% via ebay, now they would be about 10% as I usually only buy discontinued items that I can't buy elsewhere.

Thanks for reading this post.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

THE GLOBAL SHIPPING FIASCO - JUST POSTED THIS ON US FORUM TELLING SELLERS WHY THEY ARE LOSING SALES!

imastawka
Honored Contributor

That's great, but you didn't tell them how to opt out of the GSP -

(My eBay summary page)

account > site preferences > shipping preferences > Offer the Global Shipping Program > edit > no

Anyway,  I went through all that on the US boards months ago (and gave them info on opting out)  They couldn't care less on those boards IMO.

I kept checking, and after a month of no answers, I gave up.  The Canadians are

howling just as much as we are.

Good luck with that then

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

G'day some999,

I too have found big issues with listings showing the Global Shipping Program ...and have on numerous occasions contacted sellers to have them amend their listings ...but this is often confusing for sellers who have told me they cannot see what the Global Shipping Program is charging for international buyers.

The Global Shipping Program varies greatly in cost as well ...very hard to figure ...as for the same kind of items the listings could show shipping anywhere from US$20 to over US$45 ...and these items usually cost me less than US$5 for shipping.

Hopefully we can get the word out there for sellers to avoid the Global Shipping Program on listings of small or light items.

Regards,

Belinda 🙂

PS. I'll see if I can add to your post on the US Forum Site ...more info from Aussie Buyers should help US Sellers to understand our concerns with the Global Shipping Program.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

G'day imastawka,

Thanks for showing where a seller can opt out of the GSP ...I didn't know how to do that.

Sorry you didn't get a better response for your efforts on this topic in the past.

Regards,
Belinda 🙂
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I just don't buy from sellers who use the service and I email them to tell them why I am buying elsewhere.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I don't either.

i think this is SIX threads about the GSP on the front page. i wonder if they could be consolidated, given there is nothing new in any of them.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I think they should be consolidated too.  But that would make them something

like a gazillion posts long.  And someone would still start a new one.

Given the reply in post #4 nobody reads any of them apparently

Thanks for showing where a seller can opt out of the GSP ...I didn't know how to do that.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

G'day imastawka,

As the author of "post #4" ...and given your assumption that ..."nobody reads any of them apparently" ...how is it that I have read and learnt something of value.

I have only recently got back onto the forums ...and starting to read, share and resolve my issues ...so I don't agree with your assumption.

We are a community made up of a variety of individuals who may or may not have the time, experience or understanding to know how best to use eBay or interact on the forum threads.

I encourage everybody who desires assistance ...to never be put off asking for that assistance ...maybe even repeating the same issues if that happens ...as a simple answer and redirection to the thread with more indepth discussion on the topic is the community minded response.

Frustration is also understandable ...but like any "teacher" ...we need to pause to consider that the person/pupil has sort assistance ...rather than continuing without learning ...which would result in further errors and disappointment ...rather than happy satisfaction in achievement.

I am not meaning to lecture ...but communicate to other community members ...never to give up learning or sharing.

Now I should get back to my busy life ...which would be greatly helped if there was no "Global Shipping Program" 😉

Regards,

Belinda 🙂

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@bellsakabin wrote:

G'day imastawka,

As the author of "post #4" ...and given your assumption that ..."nobody reads any of them apparently" ...how is it that I have read and learnt something of value.

I have only recently got back onto the forums ...and starting to read, share and resolve my issues ...so I don't agree with your assumption.

We are a community made up of a variety of individuals who may or may not have the time, experience or understanding to know how best to use eBay or interact on the forum threads.

I encourage everybody who desires assistance ...to never be put off asking for that assistance ...maybe even repeating the same issues if that happens ...as a simple answer and redirection to the thread with more indepth discussion on the topic is the community minded response.

Frustration is also understandable ...but like any "teacher" ...we need to pause to consider that the person/pupil has sort assistance ...rather than continuing without learning ...which would result in further errors and disappointment ...rather than happy satisfaction in achievement.

I am not meaning to lecture ...but communicate to other community members ...never to give up learning or sharing.

Now I should get back to my busy life ...which would be greatly helped if there was no "Global Shipping Program" 😉

Regards,

Belinda 🙂

Not to mention that we are a small minority of ebay members, and those who habituate the boards will already be cognisant of the issues with GSP. Given the number of current threads about the issue, it would be hard NOT to be.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

just paid $31.05 usd for i small item out of the US, i told the seller if you continue to use GSP you have lost my business

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply