TV on Ebay described as brand new , unopened and unused but not what i got

pumi63
Community Member

Around a week ago i bid on an LG 43 ultra smart 2023 LED TV described by the seller as brand new in every sense . I even asked him to confirm this before i made the winning bid so imagine my surprise when i got the goods opened the box to find the TV looked new but the power cord was from a Toshiba TV .

Anyway , i carried on set up the TV , powered up the remote and followed the online instructions on TV .

I began getting a message ' registering magic remote followed by ' the remote is not supported by this TV .

I checked the internet for answers and 3-4 hours later , no joy .

I messaged the seller about this followed by other messages that he had ' packed ' the wrong remote as verified by LG !

I even asked him to refund the cost of buying the correct remote for sale on Ebay but he has not responded to any of my requests so i have now informed Ebay support about this .

I don't want to return the TV but surely Ebay could liase with the seller and arrange a refund for the correct remote .

It appears that looking at his selling history another buyer ended up with ' compressed paper ' instead of a TV so i am surprised that Ebay did not take any action .

Rant over , thank you all for reading this .

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: TV on Ebay described as brand new , unopened and unused but not what i got

Read & use the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Look at feedback before bidding buying.

eBay has no way to compel the seller to refund you unless you open a Not As Described case.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Open a not as described case, and get a refund,   don't play with the seller,  they will stretch it out for the 30 days.

Don't just try for a new remote,  you don't need that TV that desperately,  once you get the remote you don't know what else is wrong.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Just a PS to my other comment,  if their feedback already indicated another buyer only got compressed paper,  Why did you even bother to buy from them.   Don't blame Ebay,  you made the decision to buy, knowing full well the seller may have a history!!!!!

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

pumi63
Community Member

Update to message above .

The seller has responded and has now offered to refund the costs of buying a replacement genuine remote on Ebay . 

So , let's wait for the refund hopefully and this story may have a happy ending ....

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@pumi63 wrote:

Update to message above .

The seller has responded and has now offered to refund the costs of buying a replacement genuine remote on Ebay . 

So , let's wait for the refund hopefully and this story may have a happy ending ....

It may,  but based on their history as you have told us,  well,  I wouldnt take the risk.

They have already stretched the truth by saying its brand new, with a bad remote and incorrect power cord,  why would you believe them

Remember you only have 30 days,  once that is gone, you are stuck with a dodgy tv maybe as useful as compressed paper.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Doubtful

Sounds very much like the seller is just string you along until it is too late for you to open a dispute

Your choice, if you choose to risk it, eBay is not going to help you after the time limit

And you're not going to get a refund for 'part' of the purchase in this kind of case

And it is up to you to liase with the seller. Unhelpful, or obviously lying as they are, you open a case and follow through with it

And maybe eBay did'nt take any action last time because 

a)that buyer also went along with the seller's games

b)There would be no indication IF they did take action that anyone else could see

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

You are on the Aussie Boards you realise.  Answers given here may be slightly different in the UK.  Suggest you ask on UK boards.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@pumi63 wrote:

Around a week ago i bid on an LG 43 ultra smart 2023 LED TV described by the seller as brand new in every sense . I even asked him to confirm this before i made the winning bid so imagine my surprise when i got the goods opened the box to find the TV looked new but the power cord was from a Toshiba TV .

I don't want to return the TV but surely Ebay could liase with the seller and arrange a refund for the correct remote .

It appears that looking at his selling history another buyer ended up with ' compressed paper ' instead of a TV so i am surprised that Ebay did not take any action .

Rant over , thank you all for reading this .

Yes, ebay could liaise with you to arrange a refund but first they have to be informed there is a problem.

How could they know otherwise? The same with the other buyer who ended up with compressed paper. That may very well have been in their feedback but ebay doesn't read feedback comments & only acts on them if someone directs them to the actual comment of concern. Even then, it is mainly to remove feedback.

If you want ebay to take any action against the seller, what you need to do is open an ebay claim for item not as described or faulty. If I were you, I would do this right now, today.

This isn't just about the remote. You also got the wrong power cord.

If you open a proper case, the seller will be forced to issue you with a refund & they will be forced to pay the cost for a return of the TV. They may try to bully you into paying but you need to know your rights.

The guy has not responded to any of your messages so far. He has sent you two incorrect components. You don't even know absolutely for sure if the TV is new.  What good is a so called guarantee also if you have no proof of date of purchase, & if you were thinking of making any claims through this guy, think again. He has ignored your messages so far about smaller things, do you think he would respond if you had bigger problems?

Just contacting ebay support is useless. I am shocked they didn't even direct you to make a claim.

Open a claim now. You don't need that TV, even if you think it was a bargain. Get your money back, buy from a  reputable seller or even buy second hand if you can find a genuine seller.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

You are on the Aussie Boards you realise.  Answers given here may be slightly different in the UK.  Suggest you ask on UK boards.

Doesnt really matter if its the UK or Aus site,  my advise will still be the same,  stop playing the sellers game and lodge a case.  The TV is not worth the hassle and time is running out.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply