This is just a 'heads up' post.

5kazam
Community Member

Like many people, I'm subject to scam phone calls, which are increasing every day.

But over the last week I've been getting text messages stating 'Your delivery is on it's way.....'.  As I'm not expecting anything, I immediately realized 'scam' and deleted them.

However, as a lot of people ARE waiting on deliveries (and more so due to lockdowns), I thought I'd post this as a warning to not click on the links - these are definitely scam texts.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I got one just now. First time ever.

Like you I am not waiting for anything, and the people I buy from send me emails. The only text messages I get about deliveries are from AP MyPost.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

When I am waiting for something, I just keep the AusPost tracking tab open and check it every morning. Safest way to know when something is coming and that it is real.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

Not all deliveries are by Aust Post.  A lot are coming via courier, so some people may think these text messages are legit.   That being the purpose of my post - these texts are not legit, they are scam. 

Couriers Please, Aramex, etc., do have their company name as the sender of the text.   These texts have no name on them.

So all I'm trying to do is let buyers know to be alert if they receive these texts.  

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, of course. I meant I keep the tracking open of whatever courier the seller has used (even if I said AusPost, maybe because I have an open tab with two trackings in front of me right now).

But it is definitely good to be aware of new scams.

There is also another scam I have heard of (I think by email, but possibly also by SMS, I am not sure) where they pretend to be AusPost and say they cannot deliver your parcel if you don't pay a certain fee online because the sender has underpaid them. I have heard of this scam too. Of course when people click on the link to pay they steal all their details. Not a new scam, but some people still get these emails.

It is sad how many scammers there are these days.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I was getting a lot of them from early last month, but they have tailed off to a just a couple every 3 or 5 days now. I spotted them as a scam straight away but unfortunately many didn't, including a couple of friends of mine.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I also have been getting dozens of emails of the same, they usually go straight into junk but occasionally they come into inbox. I block them.

Eventually they seem to die away.

Delivery coming.

Bitcoin celebrities.

Funds waiting in your account.

You have won.

Etc., etc., etc.

Staying safe I hope padi. 😊 You got our grand final this year, tradition breaks.

image host
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Staying safe I hope padi. 😊 You got our grand final this year, tradition breaks.

Yep, all good over here thanks Kopes. There's zero chance of me going to the Grand Final, even thinking about going to Perth makes me break out in a cold sweat !!!! Much happier in the company of the dogs and 'Paccies mate.

Stay safe young fella.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

The figures for August alone,  and this was a low months

Amount lost
$26 507 076

Number of reports
40 891

Reports with financial losses
6.2%
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

These sorts of text messages have been popping up on my iPhone for a while. They also slither into my junk mail folder (Hotmail) and occasionally make it past the blocks in some of my other email accounts. I usually spot the phishing emails within seconds, and the few with malicious code in them that do poke their heads into my folders are instantly identified by my antivirus software and stripped/smashed/deleted. The number of times I personally have to take care of the spam/scam material is very small percentage-wise.

Perhaps the spam material most likely to annoy me is on the landline. Number withheld, nothing on the line for a few seconds if I pick up, accented voice then launches into prepared speech about solar rebate or LED lights or other energy saver rebate/scheme. I try to keep my response to "Hello", "From whom are you calling?" and "No, thank you, goodbye." I may occasionally lapse into a heavy sigh followed by "You know that I know that this is a scam call, don't you?"... and generally the next noise is the sweet, sweet sound of a disconnected phone line.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply