To check postage from tye US and the Pitney Bowes ripoff.

Having been surprised at the latest postage ripoff from the USA, I have checked the Global Shipping they are now bound to.

What a deal for eBay. Your payment to the seller is split by PP into 2 separate parts.

One goes to the seller and the other to PITNEY BOWES who now do all the international postage.

The seller sends to a central post receiving area at local post costs. This is where PITNEY BOWES  comes in.

They will dismantle the parcel and "repack" for international postage at a very expensive rate. Once the parcel is posted to you,

PB and everyone else associated with the sale now wash their hands of responsibility for the safety of your parcel.

If you find a seller using PB go the bottom of the page  and you will see in the postage "to be paid to Pitney Bowes. Click on "learn more" and have a read of the PB/PP contract.

How do eBay and PP get away with it.  I have stopped buying from the US for that reason.

I know of people who have had parcels from PP and are NOT happy with the service.

The seller packed the items in a cardboard box an

d bubble wrap, sent it to PP.PP in their wisdom repacked the items (in this case glass insulators) in newspaper and a postage bag. Guess what? The parcel contents were broken on delivery and the buyer has had one hell of a time trying to get a refund from PP.The seller is not at fault but PB sent fragile items in a post bag. Why do they have to repack items?

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is, the seller is not responsible for the postage. They get nothing out of that PP & PB SHARE THE SPOILS, 

hopefully that system NEVER reaches Australia. Aussie Post are expensive enough.

Do It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: To check postage from tye US and the Pitney Bowes ripoff.

(My eBay Summary Page) Account > Site Preferences > Shipping Preferences > Offer the Global Shipping Program > edit > No

Chezzy, AU members can indeed log on to ebay.com and check it out for themselves. This will make it much easier to help US sellers to opt out.

The GSP Terms & Conditions are quite extensive as well... http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/seller-tnc.html

screenshot-my ebay com 2014-07-27 00-12-11.jpeg

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

My couple of favourites from the Pitney Bowes Terms & Conditions (a.k.a. Corporate Butt Covering)

the risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall remain with your Seller until the GSP Item is accepted at the U.S. Shipping Center. As between you and Pitney Bowes, risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to you from Pitney Bowes and/or its third party parcel processing service providers when the GSP Item leaves the U.S. Shipping Center.

.....and I love the loose use of language in this one to cover any vague reason that may be thought of not to deliver something

eBay and Pitney Bowes shall have no liability and shall have, in their discretion and in any manner that they prefer, the right to dispose of or liquidate parcels (and their contents) that eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude are undeliverable, for whatever reason. If eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude that a parcel is undeliverable and elect to dispose of or liquidate a parcel, title to the parcel (and its contents) shall transfer automatically from your Seller to eBay, Pitney Bowes and/or any third party designated by either eBay or Pitney Bowes

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Yep...that's so true.  We have had loads of instances of just this.  Once we alert the seller it is all good and mostly they will ship via USPS.  SHAME ON EBAY ONCE AGAIN!!!

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Having been surprised at the latest postage ripoff from the USA, I have checked the Global Shipping they are now bound to.

US sellers are not bound to use  this scheme.

What a deal for eBay. Your payment to the seller is split by PP into 2 separate parts.

One goes to the seller and the other to PITNEY BOWES who now do all the international postage.

Only for  GSP items

The seller sends to a central post receiving area at local post costs. This is where PITNEY BOWES  comes in.

They will dismantle the parcel and "repack" for international postage at a very expensive rate.

Repacking is unusual, and in general only happens if there is some doubt about the nature, origin or admissability of the item. It is not a standard practice. It woulkd be unlikely to happen if the seller provides correct item specifics, but they often do not.

Once the parcel is posted to you,

PB and everyone else associated with the sale now wash their hands of responsibility for the safety of your parcel.

The parcel is the responsibility of the shipper, and in fact the treatment of damage claims is better than the treatment of transit damage claims for items from non GSP sellers, since there is no need to waste money returning a damaged item. The buyer simply keeps it and gets a full refund, The seller keeps the payment for the item.  The GSP insurer foots the bill.

If you find a seller using PB go the bottom of the page  and you will see in the postage "to be paid to Pitney Bowes. Click on "learn more" and have a read of the PB/PP contract.

How do eBay and PP get away with it.  I have stopped buying from the US for that reason.

I know of people who have had parcels from PP and are NOT happy with the service.

A unique combination of a complicated program with clueless sellers pretty well ensures unhappy buyers.

The seller packed the items in a cardboard box and bubble wrap, sent it to PP.PP in their wisdom repacked the items (in this case glass insulators) in newspaper and a postage bag. Guess what? The parcel contents were broken on delivery and the buyer has had one hell of a time trying to get a refund from PP.The seller is not at fault but PB sent fragile items in a post bag. Why do they have to repack items?

All accounts of cases like this need to be treated as just anecdotes unless some evidence is provided. Recycling them is as pointless as the original post. Since the reshipper is responsible for safe delivery, it is clearly bad business for them to reduce the chances of safe delivery.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is, the seller is not responsible for the postage. They get nothing out of that PP & PB SHARE THE SPOILS, 

The seller gets their domestic shipping cost. The 'spoils are probably pretty minimal in view of  the costs involved.

hopefully that system NEVER reaches Australia. Aussie Post are expensive enough.

The system would never reach Australia because Australians do not have the same paranoid fear of overseas shipping so common among US based sellees. Also, the market scale is not there.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

The system would never reach Australia because Australians do not have the same paranoid fear of overseas shipping so common among US based sellees. Also, the market scale is not there. ............nor do we enjoy copping a right royal whatsyerfathering from some faceless multinational that charges the earth and fails to comply with even the most basic of Consumer Laws. Their corporate policies covering nobody but themselves would hold up for about 30 seconds in an Aus court (time enough for the Judge to get over his fit of hysterical laughter) before even the simplest case was found against them.
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

I have just been caught with this too. The Seller charged $US5 for postage but Pitney Bowes charged an extra $US18.56 for International Priority Shipping which took four weeks and four days to arrive.

I will be more careful from now on when I look at items in USA.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply