Trying to contact eBay about dodgy sellers, False advertising & Scams is a waste of time

Trying to contact eBay about dodgy sellers, False advertising & Scams is a waste of time  YOU NEED TO FILL IN AN ACCC REPORT FORM, AND IF ENOUGH OF YOU START REPORTING  THE ACCC WILL DO SOMETHING AND SO WILL  EBAY WITH ACCC  ON THEIR BACK.   

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Trying to contact eBay about dodgy sellers, False advertising & Scams is a waste of time

As you insist on buying from Chinese sellers, I don't understand what you think eBay Australia or the AustralianCCC are going to, or be able to in the case of the ACCC, do.

Enlighten us, preferably not in colour.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

The last 3 negs the OP left were for a seller located in Australia, but I'm guessing maybe they were stocking some real cheap junk from China, based on the amount of negs.

OP - you need to do some due diligence and check the sellers feedback before purchasing.  Never buy from a seller who has less than 99% positive feedback as you'll most likely end up with a headache.

Ebay's terms and conditions state that you will not take action against the company, as the individual sellers are responsible for the content of their listings. If you want to get the ACCC involved, you need to direct your complaint against the individual seller.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

And it will work better if you yell at forum members in red.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I'd say Jellybird is on the right track here. No matter where the seller is from, you are best to have a quick look at their feedback before you buy, just to see if there seem to be any common problems that other buyers mention.

I think the key thing about your post though is you say, 'If enough of you start reporting....."

People will generally only go to that sort of trouble if they have a really bad experience themselves.

At the moment, ebay has some processes in place that buyers can use if they have a bad experience. If an item doesn't turn up, they can claim on item not received. If it turns up and is not fit for purpose or not what was advertised, they can also claim.

So if buyers have a bad experience but are able to get a refund without too many hassles, they are not likely to go to the ACCC. Similarly, if they buy an item on ebay and it arrives and all is good, they aren't going to contact ACCC.

And that's pretty much the situation at the moment for most people. I'm an occasional buyer and can't remember the last time I had any problems. It would be years ago.  So I don't think you're likely to get masses of people complaining to the ACCC.

I appreciate though that you have had a bad experience with your last seller. Your best bet is to make a claim and get your money back. It alone won't get rid of any dodgy sellers etc overnight but it's your best course of action in the long run.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Buyers beware, be careful when buying Sporting Memorabilia from REMOVED I'm disabled living across the other side of Australia 🇦🇺 to witch I made quite clear ,I didn't know where they were @ the time Anyhoo I made an offer to witch he agreed only to tell me I had to pick it up myself, I informed him to that it was impossible for me come to N.S.W. & that he should put the cricket bat in question back on the ebay market , then he said he'd send it by post for $200 dollars, the bat only cost $299 that's all I have & he was very unreasonable telling me that it's too bad I made an offer to witch I retracted strait away to be told NO too bad 200 dollars more or pay more postage in hope of a return this REMOVED has made me want to forget about dealing online for good because they are so unreasonable just want your money at any cost , buyer beware, don't use REMOVED if you know what good for you as I said , this is a warning , buyer beware they want your business/money at any cost , don't buy anything from REMOVED, it's your fault now if you do because you've been warned 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

How did you not know? The listing states where items are located

Was it a pick up only item? If so, did you ask them about postage prior to making an offer, if not, was postage to the other side of Australia given on the listing

what was the seller feedback like 

Why did you not leave them a neg comment to warn others

Posting the seller name over and over here, which as you know is against forum rules is not going to warn anyone of anything as it will be removed by a moderator as soon as one comes online

Your ability level has nothing to do with reading the listing or asking questions before making an offer, or abiding by simple forum rules you agreed to prior to posting

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

The bat was clearly listed as pick up only. It is also clearly shown where the item is located. The seller has done nothing wrong, so why you are bagging them out on a forum is beyond me. Sadly for you, as mentioned, the moderators will intervene and remove the seller's name. Then your post is pointless. For those that do see this thread, they'll take no notice anyway, because they will clearly be able to see that it's you that stuffed up. 

In future, read the ad properly, including the description and postage details. Don't just look at the title. Trying to play the disability card is pointless because frankly, no-one cares. 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I know that I for one certainly make up my own mind about who I buy from, and I take zero notice of self entitled tantrums

Especially when it is 100% the buyer who ignores what a listing says and accuses the seller of being the unreasonable one when they don't get special treatment 

I also know many people will be glad to know another troublesome buyer to have on their party listing

Where exactly is the scam or false adverting by the way, OP

That is the thread you have jumped on

More false claims 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Okay, you should have read the ad properly. $299 is a lot to pay for anything where you haven't checked out the ad properly so be more careful in future. "pick up only" means the seller will not post.

So yes, the seller is annoyed with you, and with good reason. It really doesn't matter if you are disabled or not. I am taking it you live somewhere like WA or SA. I am in Vic and I am not disabled but I would not buy a pick up item from NSW because it is too far to travel to pick up, simple as that.

However, the seller is being bloody minded in my opinion. He doesn't seem to have a vast amount of experience as a seller and that may explain it.

His best bet would be to cancel the sale (you as a buyer cannot cancel and he as a seller does not have to cancel. You can retract a bid at auction as long as it isn't in the final hours but if you make an offer on an item that the seller accepts, that is taken as a firm offer).

So.. your seller does not have to cancel.

But nor do you have to pay over $200 in postage. He can't force that and don't be bluffed. That is extortionate in my opinion.

Naturally, he won't post the bat and you won't receive it. So what you can do is open an ebay claim for item not received. You'll get your money back.

If by chance that doesn't work, and you paid by paypal, you can open the same claim on paypal. But only do that if the ebay claim fails.

It will pretty definitely work as we were in the same position a few years back but as sellers. We had someone pay and say they were picking up, then tell us we had to post for free, then saying they would pick up but never arriving and next we knew they opened a claim with paypal. They got a full refund.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply