US rates Why ?

I want to purchase goods that are here in Au but the seller has prices in the US. When I asked her why this is what they answered...

When I first signed up with eBay many years ago, I was automatically signed up to eBay.com, the US website. I did not even know that the eBay.com.au site for Australia existed! Maybe it did not all those years ago!
Since then it's had its ups and downs with currency fluctuations, but my customer base is almost entirely based in the United States or Europe, the $USD is understood worldwide (much more so than $AUD) and so I do not wish to change now.
Hope that explains.

Is this normal practice ?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: US rates Why ?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I don't know about normal practice but there is nothing to stop sellers listing on the site where they have the most customers.

Some items sell better in some countries so it makes sense for sellers to maximise their potential customer base.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Is the seller Australia based, and selling to the US market? Interesting as the Aus Post shipping must be very expensive to the US.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

The seller isw Au Based and selling on Ebay Au 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

If he is listing in US$ he must be listing on the US site....the currency is set by the site on which the items are listed.

Can you post the item number of one of the items in question?

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply