Unnecessarily rude sellers ..

Seriously, what is with rude sellers? I just asked a seller what their best price was and when I got the amount I politely said ‘thanks but no thanks’ (hey some might not even respond ) and next thing I know I have the CHIP of his/her shoulder hurled at me. Some rubbish about how I should go to Kmart... (um relevance?)

This is not the first time when sellers have become stroppy - I’ve dealt with some who have reneged, lied about postage or sent faulty items. I’m sick of buyers bring the baddies. I always try to be polite until I’m pushed.. Sellers love to complain about buyers (btw I sell too) but some sellers need to go to customer relationship training and stop taking out (I assume) bad experiences with other buyers on me! (Instead learn to look at feedback first..Mine is excellent and it is insulting when that is not even acknowledged ).
Guess I’m getting grumpy in my old age...
Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Everyone is pretty **bleep** off these days haha.

And yes your feedback is excellent as it should be for a buyer.

I imagine you thought the best price was going to be lower than you received?

The reply of "thanks but no thanks" must of set them off?

I usually tell buyers to bugger off as well for wasting my time haha.

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

I had a potential buyer recently ask me if a particular book was a trade paperback. When I responded that it was indeed a mass market paperback, as attested to by the dimensions included in the description, I received a response of thanks for nothing, or words to that effect. I can't be the only one who expects a book buyer to be able to read.

I was also told that they wouldn't be buying from me in the future. A sentiment I concur with and have ensured.

The relevance is that the price is usually the price. Did the seller have best offer enabled? If not, why did you think they would accept an offer?

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

Saying 'thanks but no thanks' is extremely rude in my opinion, so why should the seller have to take your rudeness while you expect them to be super polite?
Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

When say something verbally people can hear the tone in your voice, when you type it, it can come across differently.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

As dave mentioned, did the listing have the " Best offer " activated ? If so, fair enough to ask the question, if not even asking the seller what their cheapest price is could be construed as rudeness and then to make the comment, " thanks but no thanks " regularly used as a derogatory response, well frankly I suspect the seller was just responding to your rudeness.. 

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

So it is fine for you to be rude to the seller but when they are rude back it is a different story?

Really all you have done here is show how rude you,yourself are

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

I've lost count of how many people I've had making an offer that's half the "Buy It Now" price I'm asking. I'm always slightly bewildered by these weird Internet types - are they like that in real-life? Do they haggle with the checkout operator at Coles, trying to get a lower price? Try and negotiate a bulk deal with the counter staff at McDonalds?

And don't get me started on the total lack of comprehension / common sense!

In my listings for garage door motors, I clearly state that they're not a direct replacement for a particular Chinese brand of motor. And I still get people sending me photos of that exact motor, asking if ours is a replacement for it. There's also the occasional low-baller, and the cutting-edge clever type who rings the company direct to buy, complaining about the exorbitant price being asked on eBay, at which point I politely explain that we're the eBay seller they're referring to...

I sell (or, try to...) pairs of novelty number-plate frames. I've actually had to specify in the listings that it's for a pair (2), because using the word "frames" (plural) evidently wasn't enough. And even then, I still get people messaging, asking me if the listing is for two...

So far as "Thanks, but no thanks", why would you have bothered? Simplest to just move on and find someone selling the same item at closer to your preferred price, rather than trying to be clever at the seller's expense.

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

Did the Seller invite offers? If not, then it is pretty rude to make an offer at all.  I also believe it is against the rules. Quite often the BIN is the lowest price the Seller will take and to offer anything less is insulting, especically if it is much less than the asking price. I just had an offer of 55% of my asking price, which is already much less than I paid for the item and it is already a bargain at the asking price. I really had to control myself to repy politely, and seriously considered blocking the potential buyer. There are both good and bad buyers and sellers, if you consider yourself one of the good ones, then make sure not to make offending remarks like "thanks but no thanks" 

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

The other day, I received an offer of 1/3rd of my listed price, a listed price which was already only c.40% of Catalogue Value, meaning the offer was about 1/8th of CV. I counter-offered with the same 12.5% discount I had given a good, regular buyer only a few days earlier. My counter-offer was rejected instantly by return message.

I think some "buyers" work on the basis of "you never know youir luck in a big city".

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply