Unrequested cancellation

I recently purchased 3 items. Before paying I requested combined postage if possible. The seller invoiced an unchanged post amount. I politely messaged her and said if that is actually the price of the postage I have absolutely no problem and paid immediately.

The seller has now refunded the total payment claiming I requested the cancellation.

I can live without the items but have a problem with them being able to claim the cancellation was my idea without communication as backup.

I feel I have done nothing wrong and that they are offended I asked for combined post.

My concern is also bad feedback.

Is there anything I can do to correct the record to say that the SELLLER did the cancelling?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unrequested cancellation

Yes, it is annoying that they claimed you requested the cancellation. I'm betting they did it as if they cancel for their own reasons, their account might cop a defect or so I have read. So they are craftily trying to avoid that.

As to the reason. I personally can't see the problem in a buyer asking if combined postage is possible. It is best to do it before purchase though. Depending on the seller & their experience, changing things after a sale might be all too complicated, so that cancelling & refunding seems the best way out.

It sounds as if you were polite enough in your reply but I am guessing the seller got the wind up at this bit,

" I politely messaged her and said if that is actually the price of the postage I have absolutely no problem"

My bet is the postage wasn't exactly that amount. It actually doesn't have to be, as the seller has other things to factor in, such as the cost of wrapping paper or containers, printing, tape & what have you. Those things all add up.

So.... the postage paid may be a bit dearer than just the stamp on the package.

Possibly the seller thought that once you noticed that, you would have a problem with it and perhaps make trouble or give bad feedback.

It is what it is, you don't have to worry about bad feedback, so just move on to other sellers.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Unrequested cancellation

No, you cannot go into another member's account and change anything 

Buyers can only be given positive feedback. as has been the case for many, many years

You could contact eBay, but you will just get a base level cs staff typing from a script, telling you that eBay will (insert do something that will not be done) here

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

Unrequested cancellation

The time to request postage discounts, is before you buy.

Postage is not just the stamp value, but also includes handling, packing etc, and is up to the seller to set their cost.

Sellers are under no obligation to offer combined post, especially after purchase, as you have agreed to the set charges.

Like your seller, I probably also would have cancelled your purchases, but I would have used the reason,

"something wrong with buyers address"  now I wonder what that could be.

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

Unrequested cancellation

As mentioned, you can only get positive feedback. If the seller leaves a negative comment as a positive feedback (which would be unlikely given what you've posted), then you get in touch with ebay and they will remove it.

The seller may have discovered they didn't actually have the items you bought. It's common to use the excuse buyer requested to cancel. If they use the out of stock option, they get a defect on their account. That said, if that was the case, they could have just told you. It won't reflect on your account at all, so don't worry about it.

No, there is nothing you can do to "change the record". Only sellers can cancel. As I said, it won't affect your account whatsoever and doesn't make you look bad. As long as you got a full refund, that's all that matters. Let it go.

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Unrequested cancellation

Yes, it is annoying that they claimed you requested the cancellation. I'm betting they did it as if they cancel for their own reasons, their account might cop a defect or so I have read. So they are craftily trying to avoid that.

As to the reason. I personally can't see the problem in a buyer asking if combined postage is possible. It is best to do it before purchase though. Depending on the seller & their experience, changing things after a sale might be all too complicated, so that cancelling & refunding seems the best way out.

It sounds as if you were polite enough in your reply but I am guessing the seller got the wind up at this bit,

" I politely messaged her and said if that is actually the price of the postage I have absolutely no problem"

My bet is the postage wasn't exactly that amount. It actually doesn't have to be, as the seller has other things to factor in, such as the cost of wrapping paper or containers, printing, tape & what have you. Those things all add up.

So.... the postage paid may be a bit dearer than just the stamp on the package.

Possibly the seller thought that once you noticed that, you would have a problem with it and perhaps make trouble or give bad feedback.

It is what it is, you don't have to worry about bad feedback, so just move on to other sellers.

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Unrequested cancellation

Move on,  you complained about the postage,  they were justified in cancelling it.   I read what you wrote as a reply as being grumpy, and would cause issues on receipt, so I would cancel as well.

Negotiate combined postage costs before purchasing, not after, it puts a seller in a bad position as the buyer expects the world, and gets reality.

Another for my blocked buyer list.

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Unrequested cancellation

I think what some are missing is, the OP sent a message saying if that was the cost, then "I have NO PROBLEM". Not that there was a problem. I took that to mean they were happy to pay that cost. Maybe I missed something?

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

Unrequested cancellation

Yes - you missed - ' absolutely no problem '. lol

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Unrequested cancellation

@domino-710 wrote:

Yes - you missed - ' absolutely no problem '. lol

Yes, absolutely no problem with the postage cost, so they went ahead and paid. If they had a problem with the postage cost, they probably wouldn't have paid. I still don't see what I'm missing "lol"

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

Unrequested cancellation

Something is indeed a bit odd, like others have said.

The OP did say he had no problem and that he paid immediately - so why did the seller cancel if the OP seemed to have agreed to pay the (unchanged) amount indicated in the invoice? And why did the seller send an invoice for exactly the same price (not combining postage)? Invoices are usually sent when there is a change. And why is the OP afraid the seller would leave bad feedback if there was no problem? Asking if combined postage is possible is legitimate. In most cases, sellers will agree to combine postage, although there are cases (like with Pitney Bowes) where combined postage is not possible,

As for the seller saying the OP requested the cancellation, yes, it is annoying, but sadly there are sellers who do that to avoid a defect on their account. Even if it is annoying, it does not affect the accounts of buyers in any way.

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply