What happens if I return an item to a seller and he doesn't pick it up from the post office?

I purchased an item and it wasn't as listed. It was in less than new condition. I got free return shipping and sent it back to the seller. It arrived at the post office where the seller is suppose to pick it up. The status says "Available for Pick Up". What happens if they never pick it up. Its been two - three days now and he hasn't picked it up. If he doesn't pick it up the status will never change to delivered. If it is never delivered I can't get a refund. Has anybody run into this. Is it possible that it will be shipped back to me and I will have to keep the item? Will ebay do anything about this.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What happens if I return an item to a seller and he doesn't pick it up from the post office?

What do you mean by free return shipping? Was it an eBay sale? If so, did the seller send you a postage label for the return shipping cost which had seller's address on it?

Was it addressed to the sellers own P O Box  or just their local Post Office?

Did you open an ebay or paypal dispute/claim to sort this out?

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Yes it was an Ebay sale. I opened a "case" saying "item was not as described". This gave me a free shipping label to print, with tracking, so I can return it to the seller. I did so and shipped it back to him. It was a P.O box address. Ebay tracked the shipment and all I could do after that was wait. The tracking number showed it arriving at his P.O box where it sat for 6 days. Ebay won't give you a refund until it shows the item was deliver. Finally after contacting him several times and waiting 6 days he did pick up the package and I did get my refund.

I was just wondering what would happen if they never pick the package up? Would it eventually be returned to you or would it be in ebay limbo? Is there any way that someone could wait long enough not picking up the package to prevent you from getting a refund? Because I didin't see any additional steps I could take to take it to the next level with Ebay. I just had to wait after I shipped it.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Items are returned to sender after 10 days although the addressee would have had a card and then a reminder to pick up the item within that time.

Was your return address on the parcel?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@andsetpet wrote:

Yes it was an Ebay sale. I opened a "case" saying "item was not as described". This gave me a free shipping label to print, with tracking, so I can return it to the seller. I did so and shipped it back to him. It was a P.O box address. Ebay tracked the shipment and all I could do after that was wait. The tracking number showed it arriving at his P.O box where it sat for 6 days. Ebay won't give you a refund until it shows the item was deliver. Finally after contacting him several times and waiting 6 days he did pick up the package and I did get my refund.

I was just wondering what would happen if they never pick the package up? Would it eventually be returned to you or would it be in ebay limbo? Is there any way that someone could wait long enough not picking up the package to prevent you from getting a refund? Because I didin't see any additional steps I could take to take it to the next level with Ebay. I just had to wait after I shipped it.

I think if the PO Box address was accurate, the Post Office would hang on to an uncollected parcel a bit longer than 10 days/2 weeks. Then it would be returned to sender.

If a seller decided not to collect a returned ebay sale parcel (PO Box), then they wouldn't be able to pick up any other parcels in that time frame (2 weeks?), as the PO staff would hand over all parcels waiting for collection, if PO Box holder came in to collect one.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

My guess is it would be returned to you, tracking would show this. You then get Ebay involved and they would decide in your favour and you get refund and keep item. Refund and keep item seems to be final default if nothing else happens

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply