Whats the generally accepted practice for estimated delivery dates?

I bought an item from a seller because he listed it with a quick estimated delivery date, however he has not shipped the item yet and it basically has zero chance to get here in time.

There were other cheaper listings, but I bought this one because it had a much faster estimated delivery date which unfortunately turned out to be incorrect.

Im aware of what the ebay policy is in regards to this, I just want to know what the generally accepted practice is where sellers fail to ship the item before the estimated delivery date or are late in shipping the item.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

The estimated delivery dates are inserted by ebay

I take in you have been in touch with the seller already to know it has not been posted, but I am wondering where the seller is registered? (Not what the item location says, but where the seller is) 

I don’t know what kind of item it is, but *if* it was coming from an overseas seller it may have faced a delay at customs (as an example)

Did you ask the seller for a tracking number ?

You can open an item not received dispute, after the estimated delivery date has passed, but I am not certain how long after as I have not done one myself

As for the accepted practice, I think that is up to the individual buyer if they open a dispute, or wait, or communicate with the seller to reach a mutual agreement

Personally I don’t even look at ebay’s guess of a delivery date, I look more at what the seller’s handling time is and if the item is post marked with that time frame after I have paid

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Edited to add, as yet, I have not had an item not arrive, I have had a couple which were post marked one or two days after I had paid which then took two weeks or more to get to me, both coming from major cities to a major city

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

The item was listed as being in the same city as I am but has not been shipped and the seller has not responded. The seller is listed as being in the same country as I am.

Granted, its the weekend so the lack of response is not the issue, its that the item wont make the estimated delivery date, which is the reason why i bought from that listing in the first place.

According to ebay the estimated delivery date is set by the seller, not them, and its the seller's responsibility to make sure they can make the estimated delivery date.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

The estimated delivery dates are given to eBay by Australia Post.

Not selected by the seller.

The only control the seller has is to post the item within their handling time.

image host
Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

If eBay has said the estimated delivery date is set by the seller then they are telling utter pork pies

No seller can possibly ‘make sure’ the estimated date eBay insert is met. Sellers have zero control over Australia Post once they item leaves their hands , as mentioned, the seller’s responsibility is to post within their handling time 

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@jun_watarase wrote:

The item was listed as being in the same city as I am but has not been shipped and the seller has not responded. The seller is listed as being in the same country as I am.

Granted, its the weekend so the lack of response is not the issue, its that the item wont make the estimated delivery date, which is the reason why i bought from that listing in the first place.

According to ebay the estimated delivery date is set by the seller, not them, and its the seller's responsibility to make sure they can make the estimated delivery date.

a seller has more chance of providing you with next week’s winning tattslotto numbers than they do of giving you an accurate delivery date.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@jun_watarase wrote:

Who told you this? I'm actually curious because it's the very opposite of true. As a seller, I would like nothing more than for there to be no estimated delivery dates on my listings, because so few buyers actually give any regard to the most important part of them - the fact that they are estimates, not promises - and instead treat them like "due dates", therefore items are "late" if it gets there after that specified date. I am happy to provide guidelines for possible arrival, but very much dislike the way eBay has opted to do it, for these reasons.

eBay takes my handling time, adds the optimum delivery time as quoted by Aus Post (which is often based on pure fantasy), and then puts those dates on my listings. In order to actually properly manage customer expectations, I have had to increase my handling time so that the dates are actually somewhere within the realm of reality (meaning, I ship same or next day, but have a longer handling time so that the estimates are actually reasonable - this costs me sales because they see other sellers not doing that and think their item is actually going to be sent and / or arrive faster).

That being said, the seller absolutely should be shipping items within their handling time, and they will get a late shipment defect if they don't. 

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

a seller has more chance of providing you with next week’s winning tattslotto numbers than they do of giving you an accurate delivery date.

Or Richmond winning the Grand Final. Smiley Sad

Well done Magpies, now to fend off the Eagles. 

image host
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Or Richmond winning the Grand Final. Smiley Sad

Well done Magpies, now to fend off the Eagles. 

there is something to be said for playing every weekend in September, rather than once in three weeks before a prelim final.

Tigers will bounce back

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply