When I receive an item 'not as described' is it better to request refund on ebay or paypal?

For item 'not as described' is it better to request refund on ebay or make a claim on paypal? Pls advise

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When I receive an item 'not as described' is it better to request refund on ebay or paypal?

before jumping in and doing either of those contact the seller first and explain what the problem is. if you open a dispute straight up the seller gets a defect and might be less than accomodating in finding a solution for you.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

eBay money back guarantee I think.  If eBay agree the item wasn't as described, the seller refunds item cost, original postage cost and seller has to pay return postage costs for the item if they want it sent back. ( e,g, if the item was broken badly in the post, the seller may not want it back)

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

before jumping in and doing either of those contact the seller first and explain what the problem is. if you open a dispute straight up the seller gets a defect and might be less than accomodating in finding a solution for you.

Good idea to contact the seller first and see how they respond. If they try and brush you off, open a dispute.

The seller has to be accommodating otherwise the dispute will close 'without seller resolution' and they will get more than a defect.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

i don't think they get more than a defect, it's just that the defect won't be removed. really not much incentive to help

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Cases closed without seller resolution

A case closed without seller resolution means the buyer reported they didn't receive an item, asked to return an item, or opened a PayPal Buyer Protection case, you weren't able to resolve it, the buyer asked us to step in and help (or escalated the case to PayPal for review), and eBay or PayPal found you responsible.

To meet our minimum standards, you can only have 2 transactions (or 0.3% of transactions) resulting in cases closed without seller resolution over the most recent evaluation period. The percentage requirement applies after the account has exceeded the maximum number of occurrences.

What happens if you don't meet the minimum performance standards?

If you don't meet these minimum performance standards, we may put limits on your selling activity until your performance improves:

• Your items may be placed lower in search results.

• We may limit the number of items you can sell, or restrict you from selling outside Australia.

• You may be restricted from buying or selling with other accounts, or registering a new account.

• PayPal funds from your sales may be pending in PayPal for up to 21 days.

• We may downgrade your Store to the Basic level if you've been Below Standard for more than 60 days.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/global-seller-performance.html#cases

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

yeah it's still only a defect though.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Not if you have a few cases closed (% above) as 'closed without seller resolution;. That is when it affects sellers account as above.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply