When leaving feedback why its it also compulsory to write a comment.

smouch49
Community Member

I can understand that comments should be given to support an adverse rating. But why do I need to provide comments when I gave 5 stars to all categories. It is totally unnecessary.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Because "No comment", even next to a positive dot, looks adverse, maybe?

I have a store on another ID, and every now and then I get one of these:

not even an ellipse!

Surrounded by slightly more effusive comments (or at least, a token "Good seller"), to me it looks like the equivalent of an obligatory "meh" (without an issue warranting a neutral or neg). 

Unless / until feedback received is displayed on the full profile in a different manner, the nature of comments reflect on both the seller and the buyer. 

My feedback left for sellers reflects that I'm a very generic buyer, who likes to use auto-fill. ๐Ÿ˜‰ (One click in the field, and up pops a variety of previous comments I've left for sellers, and I just choose the most appropriate, unless there's something more specific I'd like to say). 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I forgot to mention something else... When you leave feedback, it's primary purpose is to inform the eBay community, and that's beneficial whether the feedback itself is positive, neutral or negative. A lot of buyers like to check the comments for specific items to see whether there's been any issues, not just regarding the seller, but the item itself. Technically, they're not product reviews (or not meant to be) but collectively, positive comments can paint a bigger picture for prospective buyers. 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

this has been the subject of a previous thread:  

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/If-I-have-left-positive-feedback-5-star-why-is-it-not-accepte...

and I will repeat ..almost ... what I posted before:

The comment is for the benefit of other buyers - although the seller appreciates your 5 stars no-one else can see that you left them - so for other buyers, they would like to know how the transaction went 

was it carefully packed?    was the description well done and accurate?    did the item get despatched quickly?  did you receive any communication saying that the item had been sent?

If you are taking the time to leave positive comment - and believe me, sellers love 5 stars - it only takes another few seconds to add something,

e.g.   as described;  item well packed and posted promptly, seller happy to combine postage cheaply.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

awwww OP I love getting feedback ..... it lets me know if my buyers have received their item, and if they are ambivalent, happy, exceptionally happy or over the moon ectastic.  Or if they just say the same thing to all their sellers ...

Feedback greatly assists in validating for me what I am doing extremely well - in my case I receive more comments than most about the care I take with packaging. 

I always appreciate a thank you, and that my buyers were bothered to leave a comment, or click on the stars, or both.

I understand that there are others, often blokes, that can't be bothered about leaving a feel good comment for a seller, but whether male or female, old or young, I can't see that leaving a thank you - all good is too much to expect from anyone if you wish to rate the transaction.  And if you don't, don't leave feedback its your choice not to.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

A generic thankyou for every transaction is enough if you dont want to be over the top as many are. A comment like "." is invariably accompanied by low DSRs.

If a buyer leaves a blant fb, I usually check to see if that is what they normally leave as routine or its just me. If it looks like just me then I have a rethink about the item and what the potential problem was, as that is the only way to learn by potential mistakes.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply