When the seller gives you a refund, do you get a notification saying that the item has been refunded

Through private messages under the option "I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message",

the seller has said that they agreed to and already performed a refund.

When the seller gives you a refund, do you get a notification saying that the item has been refunded or do you just have to wait for the money to show up on your account again to see the refund in action?

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

When the seller gives you a refund, do you get a notification saying that the item has been refunded

(i kind of don't want to bother the seller again since it seems they have a lot of customers, but i don't want to go under the radar in case they forgot because they were busy with other customers!)

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

@mad-azh-8l0rrjistc wrote:

Through private messages under the option "I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message",

the seller has said that they agreed to and already performed a refund.

When the seller gives you a refund, do you get a notification saying that the item has been refunded or do you just have to wait for the money to show up on your account again to see the refund in action?

You can find it in your PayPal account. Just look for Refunds in the search field. Hopefully you'll see it. It should also pop up in your email account linked to PayPal etc..

Hopefully.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

I always contact the buyer and let them know I have given a refund, with an explanation or apologies depending what the problem was.

Just curtesy on my part.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

i payed by debit so unfortunately it might not show up as quick ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

yeah, they sent me a message about a refund. ๐Ÿ™‚

so you don't receive automatic notifications when a refund happens like you do when something is dispatched? (the only notification is what the seller says?)

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

A refund should be reflected immediately on the specific transaction, even if the funds take longer to be credited to your account - if it was funded by a Visa or Mastercard debit, the funds will be credited back to the card account rather than the PayPal account, and this usually takes a couple of business days.

It should also generate a notification via PayPal, these can often go to the spam folder (or so I assume, I often issue partial refunds for postage via PayPal, and sometimes I get buyers querying it because they got the notification but missed my note as to why, and recently I had someone ask me to refund extra postage when I already had a week earlier, so they had clearly missed PayPal's notification all together).

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

wiht "A refund should be reflected immediately on the specific transaction", where would i find this? sorry, i'm kind of a n00b at ebay.

with these notifications via PayPal, do they show up somewhere (like in your email) even if you don't have a paypal account?

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Unfortunately I can only say "I assume so".

PayPal do the processing of card payments at the moment, so the notification should come through them if you don't have a PayPal account where full transaction history is recorded, many of my buyers just use a card via eBay checkout without a PayPal account, but I don't have enough feedback from those I issue refunds to for postage to be able to know for sure which ones get notifications and which ones don't, but it should also be reflected on the eBay transaction history, the $ icon in the order status should look different, and the order total should change by the refunded amount (eg if it was a $50 total and the seller refunds $25, the order total on eBay should then say $25; at least, it does on the seller's side). 

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

@mad-azh-8l0rrjistc wrote:

wiht "A refund should be reflected immediately on the specific transaction", where would i find this? sorry, i'm kind of a n00b at ebay.

with these notifications via PayPal, do they show up somewhere (like in your email) even if you don't have a paypal account?

If you didn't pay by paypal, the refund should go directly to your bank account (credit or debit card) and could take a number of days. Did you mean you paid by direct debit from your bank to theirs?

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply