Why am I paying twice as much for postage on the Global shipping program with no advantage.

acfoden
Community Member

Buying items when the seller uses the global shipping program is a con, it costs twice as much as just posting and has no advantage for either party.The only winner is Pitney Bowes who charge a big fat fee for doing nothing.Delivery is also slower goods sent by normal post arrive before those sent by global shipping.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Why am I paying twice as much for postage on the Global shipping program with no advantage.

Advantage is certainly subjective, not to mention it's not always immediately observable. (I'm not actually trying to defend the GSP, or suggest there is always definite advantage for buyers with the GSP, as I know it has some problems, just pointing out that things that advanatge sellers aren't necessarily a disadvantage for buyers. I get that a lot of people avoid it, but also understand that some sellers are well aware of that). 

To put that in a more relatable context, as a sellers there are a lot of things I do that make my job easier and simpler. The more I can do to make my job easier, the more I can do for my customers in other areas (eg I would really love it if I could just block people from providing me with a parcel locker / collect address. PO boxes are fine, because all mail sent via Aus Post can be delivered to them, but only parcels can be delivered to the other types, and most of the packages I send are not parcels. This creates a huge headache for me and for buyers who don't know, for whatever reason, they won't get their package delivered to a locker. Either I have to get a deliverable address, or send it off anyway and hope it gets redirected ok (because they almost always get redirected to an alternative address, or just sit at a PO awaiting collection). If I could just prevent these addresses from being provided in the first place, I'm sure buyers who use these addresses would see it as an inconvenience, but not anywhere near as much as the resulting mess if they provide it. I'd much rather invest the time it takes to sort all those out each week was invested elsewhere. 

Similar principles can apply to the GSP, while some sellers aren't aware and/or don't care about the higher costs, and other sellers wouldn't ship overseas at all if it wasn't for the GSP so the items wouldn't otherwise be available. There are a couple of countries I won't ship to without full tracking etc (up to 10 times the cost of economy air mail) but since I have quite a few unique and exclusive items, it's better for all if I at least make them available rather than refuse to ship there at all.  

The other thing is, for those who live in countries who do pay import duties and charges, it's all taken care of at the point of purchase (no more mail being held to ransom, no more surprises) so I suspect that just because Aussies don't (yet) experience that on packages under $1k, doesn't mean it's not a great advantage for those in other countries. (Not to mention it eliminates stuff like buyers messaging to say they want refunds because they didn't know they had to pay import charges, or even refusing to pay them and claiming non-receipt, both of which have happened to me as a seller). Sometimes... A seller just has to do what's right for them. 

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Re: Why am I paying twice as much for postage on the Global shipping program with no advantage.

I have purchased 2 items with GSP - one from the US and one from the UK. In both cases I found the postage reasonable:

$19.02 for 2 bionic wrenches from the UK

$4.30 for a large house number

My main concern was the reports I'd heard of insufficient packaging and slow postage but both my items arrived in good time and were well packed. I'm still hesitant to use it but so far, so good  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

I've bought 2 things with the GSP and one near miss. One was a small item and the cost worked out to be about $5 dearer than USPS. I wasn't that worried because i really wanted the item and I'd got it cheaper than what it was worth at auction. The other item was a large bulky item where sending via GSP was more than half what it would have cost via USPS. I was shocked at the difference in price.

The near miss was before I really understood the GSP and its limitations. I'd bought 5 items from a seller and asked for a combined invoice as it was mentioned in his listings. He said he couldn't send one. It was then that both of us realised that sales via GSP couldn't be combined. Buy 5 items, pay 5 lots of postage. He felt it to be absolutely outrageous when I told him what I was fronted with paying and kindly offered to cancel.

I haven't touched GSP since, but if it was something I really wanted and couldn't get it anywhere else, I'd probably pay it. Otherwise I avoid it like the plague. I'd use it if it was for a large bulky item.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply