Why are sellers allowed to list things as "2 x item" or more at a price which is not true

bayet
Community Member

A lot of sellers are allowed to list their items as if they are offering multiples at an advertised price. This is misleading and leads to we buyers being lured into ads and wasting time trying to find the best deal.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Why are sellers allowed to list things as "2 x item" or more at a price which is not t

Item number of an example ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Re: Why are sellers allowed to list things as "2 x item" or more at a price which is not t

@bayet wrote:

A lot of sellers are allowed to list their items as if they are offering multiples at an advertised price. This is misleading and leads to we buyers being lured into ads and wasting time trying to find the best deal.

What do you mean like woolies have 5 cans of baked beans in a picture, but the price is for just one

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

No, I mean where the ad says 2 x widget for x dollars.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I was looking at Black &Decker 18V drill batteries recently. Some said 2 x batteries for $28.95 when that is the unit price.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@bayet wrote:

I was looking at Black &Decker 18V drill batteries recently. Some said 2 x batteries for $28.95 when that is the unit price.

Just a note, if you are buying batteries for $28.95,  they are most likely cheap Chinese knock off's, and will last the whole of 26 days and 22 minutes and 32 seconds, and you will be back complaining about no warranty.   Please spend the extra m0oney and buy good ones.

I know it doesnt answer your question, just trying to be helpful.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

A big red flag to avoid

a)the seller will be registered in China

2)They are not real Black&Decker, they will be unbranded knock offs

3)There will no no warranty, no Australian safety standards met and a hazard waiting to happen 

Hit the back button fast

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

a-llama
Community Member

This is probably where there is a Multiple Choice listing, and the Item Title says 2X

The price shown for these kinds of listings is a RANGE, it might say "$28.50 to $116.90".

For multiple choice listings, you MUST go into the selection area to choose if you want 1 or 2 or 3 or 100 of the item. Some sellers list an "accessory" right down the bottom for a silly low price, and make that the default. The item price changes depending on your choice.

You must NEVER just randomly click on "Buy" based on what the Item Title says. Go into the listing, look at the Item Description, look at the multiple choices being offered. 

Now, if this battery was listed as 2X and there was no choice, and you only received one... then make a CLAIM. You will win, and you get a refund. If many buyers do the same, then Ebay shuts that seller down.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Those ' many buyers ' - should not buy.

Simples

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Alternatively it could be a listing where purchasing more than one of an item gives you a small discount on the items. I've seen this frequently.  An item may be listed as $12 - $18 and when you open the listing, it indicates that the price when purchasing one of the item the cost is $18 but if you purchase say 4 of them the cost will be $60 (4 x 15) or $120 if you buy 10 of the item.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply