Why are there so many on here who will not post out of the States?

I'd like to know why there's a problem with posting bought goods out of the States? I'm very disappointed with this when do not have this problen elsewhere. Why does this site let people buy things only to find you can't pay for them because some narrow minded people won't post internatinally on an international site. I will leave negative feedback when this happens, and I mean it, no exceptions!

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

How are they narrow minded?

eBay is split into sites by country. Sellers have a choice to sell or not to sell overseas.

They are not breaking the policy of listing on their home site.

You cannot leave feedback for a seller unless you have had a transaction with them. So if they will not sell to you, that is not going to work out for you.

If you have been able to buy without reading the listing in full, then ask politely if they will post to you. If they say no, they say no.

If there are items you want, contact the seller prior to bidding, and ask them if they would be prepared to sell to you.

If you ask politely, that usually works, unless the item is difficult to ship due to size or weight. Try it and see.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

@drive-andre wrote:

I'd like to know why there's a problem with posting bought goods out of the States? I'm very disappointed with this when do not have this problen elsewhere. Why does this site let people buy things only to find you can't pay for them because some narrow minded people won't post internatinally on an international site. I will leave negative feedback when this happens, and I mean it, no exceptions!

I'm an Australian seller and I only post within Australia, except on very rare occasion by special request. I have my reasons for operating on eBay this way, I don't think I'm narrow-minded for not posting to other countries by default, I am given that option, I use it, and I have no obligation to post to places I don't wish to.

As I do not post overseas, my listings are not supposed to appear on other sites - I don't know if they sometimes do, but I do know that overseas listings sometimes appear on the Australian site when the seller won't post here. That is an eBay technical issue, and the seller does not deserve negative feedback for setting up their listing properly, but having an eBay glitch result in a situation like this. 

I have a block in place to prevent all buyers with a postage address outside of Australia from purchasing my items, but a couple of weeks ago, a buyer in Russia made a purchase from me - no matter how they happened to find my listing, they should have been blocked, but another "lovely" eBay glitch is that my blocks are sometimes inexplicably and randomly removed. Again, my listing was set up exactly how it should have been, but the eBay system failed to implement my parameters. I don't deserve negative feedback for that. 

Also, since the introduction of the Global Shipping Program, eBay automatically checks a listing to see if it qualifies, and then adds international shipping options and costs to the listing. Many times, the seller is not aware eBay have done this on their behalf as they do not post outside of the US. Again, another eBay "innovation" that a seller doesn't deserve negative feedback for.

Lastly, if the seller has specified no postage to Aus and there is no postage quote, right underneath the price will be either "Does not ship to Australia" or "May not ship to Australia" generally in red font. If that's in a listing and it is ignored / unnoticed by a buyer....again, the seller does not deserve a negative. 

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

If you are located in New Zealand, use eBay NZ, if you want to be more sure that the ityems you want are available to be posted to you, as in theory, only those sellers who will post to Australia are supposed to show up on your site.

If you want to log into the au site, or the US site, etc then it will be a case of having to look at each listing to see if they will post to you.

I think this might be the first time I have ever heard of a seller being threatened with a neg for not posting to a particular country (if they have it written in their listing/listing set up to reflect this etc)

Digi, I thought if the seller didn't post to your country then you couldn't bid or buy anyway, that the system wouldn't let you until the seller removed the blocks?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

Digi, I thought if the seller didn't post to your country then you couldn't bid or buy anyway, that the system wouldn't let you until the seller removed the blocks?

No, unfortunately. I set my listings as post to: Australia, but it won't block anyone from buying my items based on location.

I have to set up the block manually, and it will only block purchase from buyers if their primary address is in another country (I actually do get quite a few buyers from overseas - or at least they're registered on other sites - but they can buy and pay because their postage address is Australian). In the case of the buyer in Russia, the listing they purchased from was definitely created with the block in place, and unfortunately it's not the first time I've found listings with blocks removed. 

Blocking buyers from other countries is something people give varying instructions for - for example, many will say that first you have to pick which countries you do post to, then create an exclusion list for all the countries you don't post to, then the block for buyers with addresses in those locations will work, but I just want to say that I have never created an exclusion list, but that is not the reason the block didn't work - my buyer requirements activity log, which shows several other buyers have been blocked from purchase due to addresss location proves the block works (for me) when eBay don't decide to remove it. 

PS - There is no eBay NZ.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

*blush*

I did google LOL

even checked the URL!

oops

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

I will leave negative feedback when this happens, and I mean it, no exceptions!

You tell 'em tiger.

Seriously, why do you choose to buy items from sellers who don't post to the country you are in?

If you really want something badly then maybe you should contact the seller before bidding or buying and ask if they would make an exception to their rules for you.

You might find that you are unable to contact some sellers because they will have blocks in place to stop people from other countries sending 'begging for postage' emails.

At the end of the day we just have to make do with what is available to us and not get our knickers in a knot over items we cannot have.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
"If you are located in New Zealand, use eBay NZ, if you want to be more sure that the ityems you want are available to be posted to you,"

There is no eBay NZ
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

*blush*

I did google LOL

even checked the URL!

oops

Eh, I didn't check the OPs location.... Plus, there used to be a NZ eBay, but another site was too well-established and it was closed down.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

@drive-andre wrote:

**sigh**

Have a go at selling some things before name calling (I note that you have no seller feedback on this ID).  Seriously . . . . BBL even though not in my country . . . . just for the heck of it!

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply