Why is the deadline 45 days to open a case when sellers tell you it can take up to 29 days to arrive

han293
Community Member

Why is the deadline for opening a case against a Seller 45 days when most overseas sellers advise that it will take the item 16 to 29 days for the item to arrive.  I waited this long, allowed another few days for my item to arrive then started contacting the seller.  After four attempts with no response to any I am now out of pocket and can do nothing about it.

I was sent the contact details of the Seller by Ebay but tried ringing and could not get through to them. 

I have purchased from overseas before and when the item has not arrived in the specified time I have always contacted the seller and been politely asked to wait a few more days.  This is exactly what I did in this case which was definately a mistake on my behalf.

So, should I open a case against a Seller if the item does not open within the specified time?  Perhaps there could be a system whereby if you have not left feedback by 40 days after the purchase date, Ebay sends a reminder to you to leave feedback or consider opening a case.

I'm not overly happy that I am out of pocket as I beleive I did the right thing as I gave the Seller time/opportunity to respond but this was obviously not the way to do business.

Regards

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Why is the deadline 45 days to open a case when sellers tell you it can take up to 29 days to arrive

Open a case immediately. Has the 45 days passed yet? 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You have 45 days to lodge a dispute then you have a further 20 days after you escalate the dispute to a claim. all packages I buy from overseas I get in approx 21 days.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

you can open a case on day 44 and then you get a further 20 days cover giving a total of 64 days.  If you are brave enough to open a case on day 45 then you actually get 65 days cover.  This should be more than enough for items to arrive from overseas.

The main lesson is DO NOT let a seller talk you into waiting and waiting until the 45 days has passed.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If an item has not arrived in 30 days contact the seller and advise.  If they have not responded in a couple of days try again.  If no response to your second email just open a dispute.  This should still leave you at least a week of your 45 days.

An open dispute should get a response from the seller and you still have 20 days before you have to escalate to a claim and let paypal decide.  You should get your money back if there has been no response from the seller.

Never let the 45 days lapse without opening a dispute, no matter how nice the seller seems and how many times they ask you to wait a bit longer.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@han293 wrote:

Perhaps there could be a system whereby if you have not left feedback by 40 days after the purchase date, Ebay sends a reminder to you to leave feedback or consider opening a case.

There is - unless someone switches them off, feedback reminders are sent at around 4 weeks after purchase, and this appears in the purchase history:

ebay reminder.JPG

To protect yourself in the future, you may wish to consider opening a dispute at around 43 days after purchase (it's 45 days exactly, to the minute, so if you buy an item just after midnight, the opportunity to open a case can expire only a few minutes into the last day). 

You then have up to another 20 days before needing to take any other action (i.e. escalate to a claim or close), allowing 60+ days for an item to arrive in total (I had to do this myself recently. I opened the claim because it was the day before the expiry and the seller kept sending replies asking me what I wanted to do rather than reading / responding to what I was actually saying... However, I didn't escalate it to a claim, and about 8 days later the item arrived so I closed the case). 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Most of the sellers I use appear to have that function disabled but it doesn't bother me 'cos I make a note in my purchase history (from the drop down menu) reminding me exactly when I need to lodge a claim if the item hasn't arrived by a specific date.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Hi  unfortunately the 45 days has passed.  I have learnt my lesson.  I don''t go to Ebay all that often which is why I did not know about the Leave Feedback notification appearing after 40 days. 

Thanks for your reply.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for the info.  I was not aware of the Leave Feedback notice in the Purchase History section.  I will remember to keep an eye on this next time I purchase.

I have certainly learnt a lesson.  Just hope the Seller gets blocked by Ebay.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply