Will Paypal refund?

I bought some items recently that were apparently sent prepaid Australia Post tracking.  The seller states they instructed Aus Post not to leave items unattended.

I did not receive the parcel, however the tracking is showing as "delivered".  I was home all day on the day it was claimed by Aus Post to be delivered, and I have a dog who always barks if anyone comes near the front door.

I have checked at the local PO, who state they don't have the parcel.  Aus Post say they are "investigating" but the person I spoke to had a very poor attitude.

There is no way of proving the seller addressed the parcel correctly, or Australia Post delivered it correctly. (I often get mail for the same address but a neighbouring suburb so can only assume they sometimes get my mail too). Or it could have been stolen by someone who works for Aust Post.

Aus Post told me the sender can claim up to $100 for missing items, but that money obviously goes back to them. I am still out of pocket while the seller is paid twice for the goods.

I paid through paypal.  If I get no joy from Aust Post can I claim through them? Is it likely the outcome will be in my favour?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Will Paypal refund?

If what the OP says is true then maybe he/she should always ask for items to be sent Signature Required? Just a thought...

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

I suspect the OP wouldn't be prepared to pay the extra.

it's a bummer when tracking works.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

Does the tracking show as having been delivered to your address or just to the nearest mail centre? If not to your address call Paypal and point out to them that the parcel could be anywhere between the mail centre and your address and there is no evidence of you having reveived it.

If it is showing as delvered to your address you will have a harder job but it is still possible. Ask Paypal if they will accept a Stat Dec from you confirming that you have not received the parcel.  If they will get one and send it.

If they won't then if you funded your payment with a credit card contact your card provider and ask if they will do a chargeback, if they won't or you didn't use a card then get back onto Paypal and tell them you are not satisfied with the way they have handled your dispute so unless a full refund arrives in your account within 48 hours you will be putting in a complaint to the FSO

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

Thanks for all your replies.

Thanks to the efforts of the Australia Post investigations team and some miracle I have received my items!! Hooray. 

The seller had addressed the parcel to the incorrect street number. The street number was way off, but luckily the people who lived there didn't just keep the parcel so it was still on the delivery truck destined for the dead-letter office. 

I contacted the seller, and they refused to admit they made a mistake, instead calling it "bad luck". They claimed the had the address correct in the "shipping address" field but through "bad luck" the incorrect address was entered into the "billing address" field.  They then claim it was further "bad luck" that the delivery slip was folded and displayed on the billing address side when attached to the parcel.

In fact, I sent them photographs proving that in BOTH the shipping and billing address fields had the wrong address.  The reply I received said they would not provide an "uneccessary defensive response".

I was prepared to give them neutral feedback in light of the 'constructive' criticism I received on here indicating I may be too generous with my negatives but seeing as they couldnt admit their mistake and simply apologise, they clearly didnt care if I got the items or not, I will be leaving another well-deserved negative.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

This forum is great for adding to my special list

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

mine too.....

especially 'imaginaryproducts' that mysteriously and routinely go missing.

and to  bsal - all that is required of a seller is proof of postage, not proof of delivery.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

Bsal knows that, gc. Just likes stirring the pot.

What is happening with you? I thought it was going to be a race you would win, but I'm nearly 200 ahead, with less than that to go.

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Oh mate, I gave up on the eThing selling and went the BM.

BM customers don't make you jump through hoops and the money you get is CASH - you can actually SEE it and TOUCH it and SPEND it - like straight away!.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

Fair enough. I don't have the stock or the capital to play B&M, so I'll just have to stay here.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

People like you OP should be banned from intenet shopping forever

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply