Won an Auction, but no option to pay or confirmation email

Hi There,

Today I bid on, and won, an item that was relisted from a previous auction that I did not win. However, now that I have won this new auction (at a heavily reduced price), I have not received a confirmation email, it is not within the "Bids/Offers" section and I don't see any way to pay.

When I go to the listing via web, it has the green bar at the top stating "You Won this Auction", but nothing else.

I messaged the seller and advised I had the winning bid, to which they responded "Don't know why the listing ended, but you can pick up if you like as I'm also based in _______".

I have attached a screenshot which shows the item ending at $320 (my bid), however the message says "Sorry you missed out on this item" (with my max bid of $600 below).

Can anyone advise what is happening? For reference, the item number is 154350004663

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I can't say for sure what is going on with that, what happened, or why what's happening is happening, but that listing apprears to have been ended prematurely one way or another (by which I mean it didn't reach it's designated end time, suggesting it was ended either manually by the seller, or through a site issue - there's been reports of listing problems but I don't know if that is one of them).

Auctions can only run for 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 days and they are to the second - that listing was ended a little over 25 hours after it was first listed (if it had been a 1-day auction, it would have ended at exactly 24 hours).

If it was a site error and the seller doesn't know why the listing ended, then it's possible that would in turn affect other aspects of the "sale".

If you need to pay online rather than via cash on pick up, maybe ask the seller to cancel the sale if they can, and list as a buy now at an agreed price (to ensure you get to purchase them, one strategy is to make it a very high (that is, outrageously high) price with best offer enabled, that way no one should hit the buy button and beat you to it, and the seller can accept your offer when it comes through).

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

forza_george,

This exact same thing happened to me earlier (about 1.5 hours ago) this evening on a auction item I was following. There was no other bidder and I managed to submit a bid in the last 15 seconds of the auction. I received the usual indication on the screen at the end of the auction that I was the winning bidder (took a screen cap). I cannot find any evidence of my winning bid under the 'My eBay' tab, nor did I receive any email from eBay regarding the status of my bid, nor that my bid was successful. 

When I go back to the eBay email alerting me to the 'item being followed auction ending soon' and click on the link, I'm taken to the page which shows I was successful in winning the auction. This is the usual page you see immediately after winning an auction.

After logging out of eBay and logging back in, I wasn't able to see the purchased item. I cleared all relevant cookies and logged into eBay again, to no avail.

Not sure what's going on, but it seems to me that the hipsters at eBay Central have been messing around with coding and the way the site works in recent times as I've noted other anomalies occur from time to time and a vendor has told me of errors and anomalies occuring of late.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/HEADS-UP-GLITCH/td-p/2393896/jump-to/first-unread-message

Big glitches at the moment, have a read of this thread n discussions in selling I think

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

You definitely won it, as when I looked at the item number, you are the winner (based on your feedback as names are hidden, but the winner has 67 fb, so it is definitely you).

It could be a temporary glitch. However, I have noticed that after I win an auction, contrary to the past, there is no Pay Now button any more on the page (it only says "you have won this auction"). 

When I go to the list of my purchases though it is there, so I can pay from there. 

You mention Bid/Offers. Did you also look at the list of your purchases?

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

What a round about way of doing it,

if eBay is 'fixing' things I would imagine allowing the buyer/bidder to go directly to pay would be a fairly important one LOL, especially as it was that way before

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I know. The first time I was quite stunned too when I didn't see the "Pay Now" button. Why they changed it, is a real mystery...

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

In eBay IT, there's a new boy in town.

He's the type who'll repair what is wrong.

The other IT guys, they call him a clown

And say "STOP if you want to belong"...

... For the way here in IT is change, change, change

If a thing starts to work pretty well.

When the code isn't clunky it's strange, strange, strange

"Muck it up" - (note to all personnel)

If we remedy the problems, we betray the eBay code;

We'll raise bad expectations, our department will explode.

So just remember in IT it's always change, change, change

And give the users just a taste of hell.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

In my case, evidence of the purchase/auction win has now materialised, confirming the earlier PayPal payment. An email to the vendor explaining the anomaly BEFORE the purchase record appeared, does not appear to be save in the 'Messages' area of my eBay profile. 
An interesting observation is that the day after my win, the same item appeared as being relisted by the vendor with a lower starting price having attracted one bid. Today I noticed that the item was no longer listed, having been removed from bidding by the vendor. I assume this occured when the time delay in the eBay system caught up with events.
An absolute shambles for all. Lots of sellers are being stuffed around by these anomalies.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Sellers and buyers I got glitched on both my sold items disappeared and my purchases that I didn't even know I had won later appeared.

Didn't know what was what so as a buyer I wasn't to happy about having to pay for items that I thought I didn't win.

Hope this glitch has been fixed and that it doesn't keep happening.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply