account restricted

Gday all, i have just been seller restricted by ebay for the 3rd time in a month for 7 days. There is a little tab below listings that anyone can click on and click away through the selections to deem an item to be against policy. 

This is open to abuse and unfortunately in the case I have now of a 7 day restriction the item wasn't even looked at I don't think. 

I think this might have been a vindictive hit by another ebayer. Not sure.

The latest item  in question was a 1980's pair of army dress pants.  surplus purchased either through ebay or charity shop. These are all over the place and were readily available even at sammy's, salvos and vinnies. If these are a restricted item well ebay may have to remove the entire category of Militaria in the collectables because this would apply to almost every item for sale.

Looking at the Defence websites, it is lawful for me to sell legally obtained surplus items. that is items that are not current. current army clothing falls under AMCU . Obsolete clothing DPCU , DPDU is different . Go further back to jungle greens and then Korean era and ww2 stuff is okay. 

I am not a business I am a hobby collector and only sell to make room or move on items that no longer fit the collection or I have no purpose for.  

The first 2 times i was restricted was for selling a 1980-1990's UN police shirt, bought from sammies. First time I thought I had a listing error maybe said something I couldn't , I relisted with changes and I was then suspended for relisting it. I had cheekily written my redo listing similar to another sellers item of the same era and service. Not word for word but enough not to plagiarize.   Why? that listing was current and been listed for a while. 

My listing was removed and I got 3 day suspension, I went looking for the other sellers listing later that day and that was not seen. I am not sure whether it sold or was removed. 

Now if this was removed as well is someone complaining or did the seller not appreciate my similarly worded listing , mind you mine was listed for $70 and the other sellers was for $140.  Now if the other seller had his listing removed the potential is there for him to think I had it removed it and vise versa. 

The reason for suspicion is a few years ago I had a badge I was selling for $350 a buyer emailed me and offered me $100 I said thanks but no thanks, he replied with "these are only worth that much they are all over ebay". I didn't reply. Next day my listing was removed , I wonder why.

Anyway my gripe is that this listing removal and suspensions is completely open to abuse and it needs to change. As I mentioned if my latest listing being removed violates any policy then the whole of Militaria in Collectables category comes into question and potentially the category should be removed.

Ebay please stop jumping the gun and hammering people for no legitimate reason. I am a collector this is a hobby , i sell on ebay other platforms and Locally, I don't need to sell for an income but others do. And to add if the stuff I buy on ebay I can't sell on ebay I and all other collectors should stop buying immediately . 

Sorry for the long winded blurt but I shook my head at the ignorance and stupidity, I  deleted my listings on ebay and have now vented.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

account restricted

eBay uses bots that will spot some issues. The bots may not check each listing but they are extremely likely to check listings of anyone who’s already had action taken against them.

Comparing your listings to those of others is a mug’s game. It is no defence to point the finger at another listing breaching policy (and that runs the risk of sounding like a child crying out “But he did it too, mummy!”)

Be particularly careful with what you list from now on. You don’t want to end up with a permanent sanction.

Can you work out why what you listed was considered against eBay policy? 

By the way, you may want to check with ATO about definition of business vs hobby seller. If you consistently buy and resell to make a profit, it’s a business.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

account restricted

Hope you feel better now.

I think you need to read the UA.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

account restricted

Feel  better , I have now read it and also the pages on the ADF website and what is deemed saleable. Another law to themselves I think here

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

account restricted

Once you have been restricted, you have to be very careful about relisting the item of concern, or any similar listings.  The items do not have to be reported, to receive specific attention from ebay and continuing to relist similar items is likely to result in permanent restriction.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

account restricted

Well yeah... it is eBay's site.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

account restricted

eBay uses bots that will spot some issues. The bots may not check each listing but they are extremely likely to check listings of anyone who’s already had action taken against them.

Comparing your listings to those of others is a mug’s game. It is no defence to point the finger at another listing breaching policy (and that runs the risk of sounding like a child crying out “But he did it too, mummy!”)

Be particularly careful with what you list from now on. You don’t want to end up with a permanent sanction.

Can you work out why what you listed was considered against eBay policy? 

By the way, you may want to check with ATO about definition of business vs hobby seller. If you consistently buy and resell to make a profit, it’s a business.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

account restricted

Yesterday afternoon three antique very rare items came up in my feed. They were auctions starting at a ridiculous price. In the listings, one of the images (most probably images to avoid being detected by bots) said that only the BIN in the description would be accepted (all were just under AUD 10,000), all bids would be cancelled, no eBay messages would be answered, and that potential buyers would have to contact the seller via his or her email address (also in the image). A clear circumvention of eBay rules to avoid paying fees on such expensive items.

I thought I would report them this morning because I wanted to explain what I am saying here and was tired, but in the morning they had gone, and I really don't think anybody bought them (among other reasons, while they were rare and expensive, they usually sell for much less, probably 1/3 of the price), so somebody must have reported them.

But the seller is still selling? I wonder if somebody told them they would be reported, so they removed the listing themselves?

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

account restricted

Its not about he did it too, its about how it comes about. an old pair of army trousers are not police. 

also my selling is not that large I buy I keep only sell occasionally and unwanted items. The trousers I was selling I bought 20 odd years ago. 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

account restricted

Thanks for that one, I deleted my listings, I mainly buy anyway trying to move a couple of unwanted items on. Gave the copper shirt i had to sammies .

In the local mil community here , there is always trading so the stuff will go I just won't swap it for stuff I don't need or want especially  knowing there is no point trying to move it using ebay. 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

account restricted

just wanted to add the police items were listed in Collectables , historical police items. these are some of the other items listed at the same time in the same area. it is about use, collectable or if someone is stupid pretending to be military or police. Just like knives you can buy them anywhere its what you do with them that's the issue.

Screenshot_20220808-190248_eBay.jpg

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply