anybody else dissatisfied with ebays refund response?

pjethew
Community Member

I purchased an item on may 23rd, with delivery supposed to be early June. 19 days after the delivery request, I contacted the seller who said they would send another item - still nothing as at 19/07. requested a refund through Ebay, who after 21 days have closed the request due to no activity. So i'm thinking tough **bleep** for me? The seller doesn't want to accept responsibility, and Ebay couldn't be bothered? Have lodged a request through Paypal, so will have to see how that pans out. VERY frustrating!!!

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I don't understand how that happened if you opened an item not recieved dispute within the time limit and followed through with it (the correct procdure)

Ceratinly very rare for eBay to do anything except side with the buyer, no matter what

Not surprising as the seller is in China with less than great feedback(and the story about sending another), and the massive delays with mail worldwide due to the Coronavirus(which you would be aware of that) but still, eBay is always and only for the buyer

Very odd

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

I don't understand how that happened if you opened an item not recieved dispute within the time limit and followed through with it (the correct procdure)

Ceratinly very rare for eBay to do anything except side with the buyer, no matter what

Not surprising as the seller is in China with less than great feedback(and the story about sending another), and the massive delays with mail worldwide due to the Coronavirus(which you would be aware of that) but still, eBay is always and only for the buyer

Very odd

The request timed out due to no activity, what else was eBay supposed to do? There are time limits on disputes. You snooze you lose. Obviously you would know that.

Hopefully the OP has some luck through PayPal, but if the seller has a tracking number, then the OP will lose the dispute. 

OP, in future, never let a Chinese seller string you along. If an item doesn't arrive in a reasonable time (bearing in mind the current issues around the world), open a dispute and escalate it as soon as you can. Don't let it time out. Also, don't accept an offer of the item be resent. Chances of that happening is zero. It's a stalling tactic so you run out of time to open an eBay dispute.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Yes I know, as I said in my reply, used the correct procedure and followed through within the time limit

Given the OP's topic heading, I (perhaps wrongly, after re-reading their post) assumed they had done what they were suppose to do but eBay (wrongly) had said it was closed due to inactivity 

I apparently had a different stick, not just the wrong end of it Woman Embarassed

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@pjethew wrote:

I purchased an item on may 23rd, with delivery supposed to be early June. 19 days after the delivery request, I contacted the seller who said they would send another item - still nothing as at 19/07. requested a refund through Ebay, who after 21 days have closed the request due to no activity. So i'm thinking tough **bleep** for me? The seller doesn't want to accept responsibility, and Ebay couldn't be bothered? Have lodged a request through Paypal, so will have to see how that pans out. VERY frustrating!!!

Hi, sorry to hear of your issue. That's not good. I know that with these troubled times, eBay is a bit slow but after 21 days and nothing, come on. What's wrong with the system?

On another thread, I have suggested that the TTLFB (Time  to leave Feedback) be restored to 3 months instead of 2. Prior to May 2008, we had 3 months to leave feedback. Now in light of the changes and the turmoil the world has been thrown in to, the 3 months is needed.

I ordered a couple of items from the US, one was from eBay which took nearly 2 months. I only had a few days to leave feedback. Thankfully I was able to reward seller with positive feedback. That was in May when I purchased it. Another item which is off eBay on another site, has been lying idle between point C and wherever else it has supposed to go before coming here. It was making good time from A to B to C and then for a month it's stalled. This is what tracking has told me. Another purchase from another website, this time from the UK took 6 weeks to get to me.

Hopefully you'll have some success. I hope so. Please keep us posted.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

This has nothing to do with feedback.

It has to do with the OP not closing their INR case and not getting their money refunded.

Please stop trying to make everything about feedback. It isn't.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

OP, when you open a refund request the seller has a limited time to respond (5 days or something) after which you're able to escalate to have eBay adjudicate if you and seller have not come to an agreement.

But it's up to you to fo this - if you don't, the request times out and closes, as you've experienced. As tippy said, the seller was probably stalling which is a not uncommon tactic.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

This has nothing to do with feedback.

It has to do with the OP not closing their INR case and not getting their money refunded.

Please stop trying to make everything about feedback. It isn't.

I'm not making everything about feedback. Incorrect sir!  I have made it an additional side mention which relates to the subject issue. The OP seems to have been strung along by the seller. This kind of practice combined with the delays related to COVID19 can throw things way out of whack! I have mentioned some examples about delays in my reply to OP. The feedback issue is related in that feedback can be used as leverage with a bad seller.

I have had a couple of instances where I basically did what the OP had done and waited patiently, believing seller would do right by me. Of course when you have a life and responsibilities etc., you don't always keep up with things and then next thing you know, you have nothing and no come back either.  With defective items PayPal doesn't always find in the favour of the buyer either. I've always been straight in my dealings but sadly a few times, I have missed out on being seen right.  Well, so when the potential for leverage has gone so what's left? I just hope the best for the OP and PayPal will find in their favour as that's the last option left other than the seller having compassion and a moral restoration.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

If you think 90 days is relevant, then you should have looked at the dates. The OP purchased on 23 May. 58 days ago. So the ability to leave feedback under the current system should still be available.

In fact it was.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

If you think 90 days is relevant, then you should have looked at the dates. The OP purchased on 23 May. 58 days ago. So the ability to leave feedback under the current system should still be available.

In fact it was.

Only just and only with a few days left up buyers sleeve. WIth a recent case taking nearly 2 months, I only had about 3 to 5 days window to reward seller with positive feedback. I was pleased that I could. Actually, one of the two items was for a friend and I had to get  permission from friend to test his item as I wouldn't be seeing him for a couple of weeks. (There's a bit more to this as well)  Anyway, I've said what I want to say about the FB time and I'll leave it at that. The main thing is that the OP gets seen right on this. I hope so.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply