australia post tracking difference

dear ebay member groups that buy sell etc,

i only will be posting this once, it is a common issue not just with ebay but with commerce.

you buy item, item has tracking info labelled such as CNXXXXX15 or BNXXXXX etc, short or even sometimes long numbered tracking info, but australia post email you when item is being deliverered and it is different tracking format.

Never used to be like that, always was aussie post format or courier and courier website track n trace format.

Now I never know what parcel is coming on what day, it used to be very simple 5-10 years ago, now, it's almost like the sellers are in that game for some reason, I do not know.

Only posting this once out of annoyance, might check for an answer in a few days, but yes, tracking formats changing does not mean the post guys are changing it, it means that ebays tracking system has a fault with it.  Not a fan of rechecking purchase list, rechecking emails, checking if emails are not phishing, etc.  I know companies like sendle and fastway use short phrase trackings, but to change that when aussie post contact you saying its for example going from BNXXXXX 6 digit tracking to 12 digit number tracking is not nice to read of a morning, its like waking up to realise someone has switched your favourite morning routine.

anyway not complaining prices are ok right now, but i am merely stating the obvious that something is up with that.  food for thought for 'experienced' buyer and seller group.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

cezm
Community Member

I have signed up for My Post with both my residential and PO Box addresses

Any parcels are automatically added to my My Post tracking page based on my addresses so I don't need to concern myself about the tracking numbers (I don't generally buy from sellers that use couriers because my PO Box is my preferred address)

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I also use My Post to keep track of things I send and things I buy, I name the entry when I upload the tracking number. Most of the time I use the tracking list in My Post rather that the emails AP sends to work out what is arriving.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

There are multiple reasons for this.

• You've purchased multiple items from the same seller, and they ship different packages which have individual tracking numbers, under one consignment number.
  • You've purchased from a seller overseas and they are using a service like UBI - this means they have a tracking number generated overseas, and are then assigned an Australia Post tracking number when they get here. The two are generally linked, which means if you only get one of the tracking numbers you can usually trace the other one, too. 
  • The tracking number when provided is truncated, this means the email notification contains a shortened version of the number, but if you track it on the Aus Post site, it shows the full number. 
  • The carrier has provided the seller with a shipment ID, which they upload as a tracking number, but an actual tracking number isn't generated until it's been processed by the carrier (several days after being picked up by the sender). 

I'm not fussed, myself. I always know the origin of my packages, and which one is which - I third the recommendation for My Post, for packages being delivered by Aus Post. If the parcel doesn't appear in your list automatically (they will if the account email address or phone number was used on the label), you can just add it yourself and select to get delivery notifications. 

Then you can happily ignore the eBay ones - last week I bought 4 items from the same seller, each item was large enough to require it be shipped separately, so there were 4 individual tracking numbers, none of which were uploaded to eBay, but the seller did use the code that automatically links tracking updates to eBay and allows them to send status updates anyway.

4 packages, delivered over multiple days, and a total of 20 (yes, twenty) individual "your shipment has been delivered" emails from eBay, with a few "your shipment has been delayed" thrown in for variety, I guess. Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply