cancelled order

eieio10
Community Member

Within 30 minutes of placing an order I changed my mind and cancelled it. Despite that the seller arranged shipping. Seller then advised me to refuse to accept delivery. I told the seller I would not be around to do that. Sure enough the item was left at my address. Seller has now offered to refund me $10 provided I keep the order as the return shipping cost "is really expensive". I find this unacceptable and wish to receive back the purchase price. What can I do ? Thank you.   

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

cancelled order

Don't buy things then change your mind?

The time for due diligence is BEFORE you commit to buy.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

cancelled order

It was only cancelled  a 1/2 hour after purchase, seems odd the seller couldn't oblige to cancel the order and refund you.

I have cancelled orders myself on the rare occasion and haven't had any problems.

Its sellers prerogative if they want to refund you.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

cancelled order

No need to refund me. I don't buy things I don't want.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

cancelled order

Stop messing sellers around by buying things and then 'changing your mind'

Sell the item yourself to get the money back 

I find it unacceptable people 'buy' things and then complain that they bought something they did not actually want 

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

cancelled order

Well, you have a couple of choices here.

This is a change of mind return so you need to realise that you are responsible for return postage cost. Got that? The seller would also be within his rights to refund only the item cost not the postage cost of sending it to you.

It's a totally different case when an item arrives damaged or not at all, but that isn't what happened here. You ordered and paid for something and it was sent. Sellers sometimes will cancel on request but they are not obliged to do so. I'd like to see you try this trick on some other big online sites, you wouldn't get away with it, so not sure why you seem to think you are entitled to here on ebay.

So you can either pay to return it for a refund of item cost or you can accept the $10.

If I were you, I'd snap up any $10 refund offered because technically I can't see you're entitled to a cent.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

cancelled order

@eieio10 wrote:

Within 30 minutes of placing an order I changed my mind and cancelled it. 

No you didn't cancel - sorry but this is a really common misconception and I just think it's best to make this 100% clear: Buyers can not cancel orders on eBay.

ebay is to blame for this misunderstanding, so I'm not saying it's your fault, just clarifying how cancellations work here so that you don't find yourself in a similar situation again (anyone who reads the help page eBay has for cancelling orders can be forgiven for thinking that asking to cancel an order within an hour means it happens automatically - they start off by having "If it's been less than an hour since your purchase, and the seller hasn't sent the item yet, you can cancel your order yourself. Otherwise, you'll need to contact the seller and ask them to cancel it for you." But scroll down and it says what the process actually is "If you made your purchase within the last hour and the seller has not yet sent the order, you can start a cancellation request, asking the seller to cancel your order....We'll send your request to the seller and ask them to accept or decline the cancellation within 3 calendar days." They seriously need to fix the misinfo at the top of that page ๐Ÿ˜–)

So, in summary, the seller is the only one who can actually cancel a transaction. 

Another misconception is thinking nothing happens from the time a purchase is made to when an order is shipped, and therefore it's no harm, no foul to request a cancellation as long as a shipping notification hasn't been received. There are a lot of different things that can happen once an order is submitted, and sometimes it's not actually possible to stop the shipping process (eg say they dropship, and submit your order within minutes of it coming through, and the supplier does not accept cancellations). 

Most sellers will -  happily or not - cancel an order if they can, since it's usually more trouble than it's worth to them to send an order to someone who has already indicated they don't want it, but because there are millions of different sellers here, with almost as many different post-sale practices, and some with "no cancellation" policies etc, it's always best to assume a purchase decision is final.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

cancelled order

How buyers can cancel an order | eBay

Even within an hour, the seller does not have to accept.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

cancelled order

@eieio10 wrote:

Within 30 minutes of placing an order I changed my mind and cancelled it. Despite that the seller arranged shipping. Seller then advised me to refuse to accept delivery. I told the seller I would not be around to do that. Sure enough the item was left at my address. Seller has now offered to refund me $10 provided I keep the order as the return shipping cost "is really expensive". I find this unacceptable and wish to receive back the purchase price. What can I do ? Thank you.   

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi there. Sorry to hear of your situation. There can be 2 scenarios here. Ah, actually 3.

* One is that the seller gets the items out quick-time and once the horse has bolted there's nothing to do but let it take its course.

* Another is that the seller doesn't check messages much after orders.

* And another is that seller was aware that you had put in cancellation but wanted to get you to accept the item regardless.

In conclusion, a seller .. .. .. a good one anyway checks their messages and posts at the end of the day or next day. That being the case they would easily see your message and then be aware that you changed your mind etc.. Personally, I would allow a cancellation. I would rather there not be one but I would still. At the end of the day I guess that the seller has the upper hand here. 

In saying what I did in the above, I'd just like to add that we all must be aware that there have been quite a few sellers who have listed items at a low price in order to encourage a bidding frenzy. But, if they don't get the price they desire, they cancel the transaction and come up with a range of excuses such as the item has gone missing or it was accidentally dropped on the floor or it has a fault that they were not aware of. Oh, in the "Buy-it_Now" scenario, there have been sellers who have cancelled the transaction and then re-listed the item at a higher price.

Well, whatever happens, I wish the best outcome for you.

Spoiler

The below is not aimed at you eieio10, just something to get the feet tapping in 2022. My word, what a fine looking lovely lady Carol Douglas was back then. She was an aspiring actress with TV commercial and stage work already behind her, but her big hit "Doctor's Orders" put her acting career on permanent hold.

-------------------------------------------------------

Carol Douglas, "A Hurricane is Coming Tonight"

4channel_7-1641339966873.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBKNCvRWefs

This should have been as bigger hit as "Doctors Orders" was for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjl7Yw5ouX4

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

cancelled order

@michellebartley wrote:

It was only cancelled  a 1/2 hour after purchase, seems odd the seller couldn't oblige to cancel the order and refund you.

I have cancelled orders myself on the rare occasion and haven't had any problems.

Its sellers prerogative if they want to refund you.

---------------------------------------------------

Good post michellebartley and you're right. It does seem strange. Anyway, it all depends on the seller's setup and also what they intend doing. It's sad that the OP (eieio10) couldn't get it cancelled at such an early stage. I do understand that cancellations are fairly common too. I haven't had to request one as far as I can remember. Anyway, best wishes to you in 22.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply