clutter on item page

when viewing an item as a potential buyer, i get 'Sponsored items based on your recent views', 'People who viewed this item also viewed' AND 'Explore more sponsored options:' cluttering the page so much that i have to scroll down past them each time trying to find the actual item description for the current item i'm looking at.

If said listing is by a 'hobby' seller (which many items i'm looking at eg collectables are) then description is quite likely to be only a few lines, making it even harder again to find it buried between the clutter of the rest of the page.

Is there some way of changing it?

ps i found a post from 2013 saying to change something my account advertising preferences but can't see anything related there. Tried Ublock origin ad blocker which didn't block sponsored items etc, but i don't think an ad blocker is the answer.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

clutter on item page

If you are using a desktop browser, most ad blockers will allow you to selectively hide most elements on any page, if you care to create a custom filter. Ad Block Plus has an "block element" feature that allows you to highlight a particular page element and then block it with a few clicks of a mouse.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

clutter on item page

You can't change it.

eBay has been adding this stuff for years and as they aren't strictly ads, ad blockers don't work.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

clutter on item page

thanks, i won't shoot the messenger Smiley Wink i know they had some of that stuff there before but i guess its grown more & more to the point its more distracting, oh well Cat Frustrated

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

clutter on item page

If you are using a desktop browser, most ad blockers will allow you to selectively hide most elements on any page, if you care to create a custom filter. Ad Block Plus has an "block element" feature that allows you to highlight a particular page element and then block it with a few clicks of a mouse.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

clutter on item page

'If you are using a desktop browser, most ad blockers will allow you to selectively hide most elements on any page,'

hey thanks for that, i have UBlock Origin on Firefox desktop browser, looks like it will block 'elements' too but will have to play around with the settings to get it to block those particular parts i mentioned, when i have time, cheers

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

clutter on item page

You are most welcome -- good luck.

The element hiding features of ad blockers are quite powerful and very useful, and it is very easy to become utterly reliant on them, as I notice every time I use a different computer where I have not set up my custom filters yet.

Firefox had a problem last year that caused add-ons like ad blockers stop working, and I spent an entire morning setting up my filters again on another browser. Once you know that you can remove all sorts of annoyances, it is much harder to put up with them.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

clutter on item page

I know exactly what you mean.

I have found that when I am on a phone, I have had trouble finding the information about an item I have clicked on. There is so much other clutter it can be distracting and you can miss the description.

What I find is a lot easier is to look at ebay items on an actual computer. I still get to see other stuff (sponsored items & related sponsored items) but because the screen is so much bigger, they  only take up 2 lines and I can easily scroll past, the rest of the ad is very visible.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply