counterfit HDD & SSD

ebiz911
Community Member

I am amazed at the number of "branded" counterfeit items eBay allows to be listed. Twice I've received branded items that were bluntly counterfeits. The last item was a Toshiba-branded 2.5" external HDD listed as "Toshiba Mechanics Drive". The item arrived in what appeared to be a genuine Toshiba case but what was inside was shocking! It contained an unbranded memory stick and a steel bolt as a weight to camouflage the scam. I took pictures and reported the scam to eBay, eBay refunded me but TOOK NO ACTION AGAINST THE SELLER! The seller is still listing their counterfeit Toshiba HDD drives as well as newly listed Samsung HDD drives that are also counterfeit. In fact I found at least a dozen other sellers listing these Toshiba & Samsung fake HDD. It appears that eBay does not care. I'm waiting for Toshiba & Samsung to sue the pants out of eBay for allowing these scams to continue. As said, I reported the counterfeit (with pictures) to eBay but the seller is still listing and scamming. DISGRACEFUL, SHAME ON YOU eBAY!

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

counterfit HDD & SSD

Not eBay here, other members

Stop buying from dodgy sellers in China and then complaining they are still selling the items you as a buyer are supporting

Easy

The last seller you left feedback for

Registered in Hong Kong

Worse than bad feedback

A lot of feedback warning they sell fake cards

You bought from them anyway

Seller after seller who has left feedback for you

Hong Kong/ China

ALL with horrid feedback

YOU are 100% responsible for your own buying choices

Buyers like you are allowing these scams to continue by making the choice to support them as a matter of habit

If you don't care enough to look who you are buying from in the first place that is on you

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

counterfit HDD & SSD

Can I respectfully suggest you do some due diligence BEFORE you buy online ?

1.  Check seller's feedback and if they have less than 99.5% avoid them if they are a high-volume seller.

2. On the feedback page look at where they are registered, if it's China and you are buying electronics/electrical item, then consider buying from a B&M store.

3. Your feedback left suggests you are not doing that.

Edit. G'day Sandy - snap............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

counterfit HDD & SSD

Ebay gives you the tools to sus out sellers.

From your feedback history,  you appear to enjoy buying from sellers with Baddddddd feedback.

At the end of the day,  Ebay can't go and inspect every item sellers have for sale,  they give you the tools use them.

PS.  How do you know the other sellers are selling the same so called fake HDD's,  unless you buy them you don't know.   They most likely are,  but you can't make statements of that nature without proof.

Its buyers who ignore a sellers feedback who keep them in business,  

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

counterfit HDD & SSD

Ebay will take no action if the seller is in China.

There is a lot of fake stuff coming out of China.

Unless Toshiba itself or Samsung took on ebay, I would not expect to see any change.

That's the reality.

So as a buyer, you have to treat ebay as a slightly shifty site where you might very well come across sellers pushing fake items. Most of the time, those sellers will be from China.

Before you buy, check out the seller's feedback and where the seller is registered.

Some Chinese sellers are fine but when it comes to anything electronic, you really need to treat China as a no go zone on ebay.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

counterfit HDD & SSD

Are you for real?? If the seller uses a genuine trademark and even describes the product with wordings copied from the manufacturer's own description of the product you expect the buyer to know it is fake??? WAKE-UP!! It is eBay's responsibility to weed out dishonest sellers! I go to eBay in good faith because they claim to cut off any seller with frequent negative feedback. In other words... it is eBay's job to monitor feedback and take action on sellers reported to sell poor quality or products infringing IP. You are promoting scams with your writing, wake up to yourself! The facilitator of fraud is equally guilty as the seller!

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

counterfit HDD & SSD

What people here are pointing out is that if you read the seller's feedback, there are plenty that say 'fake item'.

It is up to you to decide if you want to take the chance on getting a genuine item under those circumstances.

You are buying from sellers who have atrocious feedback in that department.

Eba.au can't/won't do anything against Chinese sellers except report them to ebay China, who in turn do nothing.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

counterfit HDD & SSD

Yes, eBay cannot be expected to inspect every item, however, they are indeed expected to take action whenever an item is reported as breaching IP rights. The facilitator of fraud is equally guilty as the seller!

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

counterfit HDD & SSD

@ebiz911 wrote:

Yes, eBay cannot be expected to inspect every item, however, they are indeed expected to take action whenever an item is reported as breaching IP rights. The facilitator of fraud is equally guilty as the seller!

But they are only taking your word against the sellers word.  It is so easy for buyers to manipulate the truth.

Ebay is a selling platform and it is up to the seller to accurately describe their items.

It's easy to blame Ebay,  but you are just a complicit by not reading the feedback from others, what happened to personal responsibility,  it is easy to blame others, but not to look at yourself.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

counterfit HDD & SSD

Oh Man. eBay.au is most definitely in a position to stop the fraud. All they need to do is stop listing the seller on eBay.au. In the majority of cases, an AU buyer does not even know the seller is from China so this is 100% Ebay.au fault. The listing is presented to the buyer as a local seller with a local address... are you saying eBay is not participating in scamming the buyer, surely eBay know it is a Chinese seller but is cooperating by hiding this fact from the buyer.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply