dispute between buyer and seller

I bought a glass table with extensions on each end   and it was delivered to me by courier. When I opened it  the table was faulty in 3 areas [extension comes away from the table - glass silver edging around 2 legs is missing and a piece of tape on the edge of the extension has also come away]. I wrote to the seller to report this and they offered me a $50 compensation and said I could buy some silicon to repair it. After 4 emails they offered me a half  refund but no freight allowance. I believe by law they have to refund me the whole amount-both the cost and freight. as the table is obviously faulty [in more than one area]. I live in a small isolated community and it is difficule to get repairs done and the table is of no use to me as it is. I would like to return it and have a full refund as i believe this is legally my right. What can I do to convince the seller that this is what should happen as they are reluctant to proceed further? Can I report this to EBAY and /or paypal ?Norman Archibald

1750mm NEW MODERN ...

Sale date: 12/12/16 21:11
Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

BY LAW, unless they are a business and selling NEW items, they don't have to replace or refund.

Unless you return the item at your expense.

There are avenues, including your local Department of Fair Trade, but I don't know whether they apply having never had a purchase go awry. Mainly because I don't buy things online that don't lend them to being purchased online. Like furniture.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

@coochienorman wrote:

I bought a glass table with extensions on each end   and it was delivered to me by courier. When I opened it  the table was faulty in 3 areas [extension comes away from the table - glass silver edging around 2 legs is missing and a piece of tape on the edge of the extension has also come away]. I wrote to the seller to report this and they offered me a $50 compensation and said I could buy some silicon to repair it. After 4 emails they offered me a half  refund but no freight allowance. I believe by law they have to refund me the whole amount-both the cost and freight. as the table is obviously faulty [in more than one area]. I live in a small isolated community and it is difficule to get repairs done and the table is of no use to me as it is. I would like to return it and have a full refund as i believe this is legally my right. What can I do to convince the seller that this is what should happen as they are reluctant to proceed further? Can I report this to EBAY and /or paypal ?Norman Archibald

1750mm NEW MODERN ...

Sale date: 12/12/16 21:11

Given you have attempted to negotiate this with the seller without it being resolved.

If freight/post was included in the transaction open a eBay dispute request to return the goods as being not as described - there is only a 30 day window to do this. 

If you can, it is always best to upload clear photos showing the faults - I'd have these ready to go prior to opening the dispute.  If you don't have access to do this - just make sure you provide detailed descriptions of the exact faults and how these were not mentioned in the description.   Also note in that you will need seller to make arrangements to collect as it was delivered by courier organised by them.  

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply