do sellers need to offer paypal?

is it an ebay policy to offer paypal as one of the payment methods to buyers?

thought it was but may have changed since ebay and paypal are now 2 different companies,or are they?..thanks.Man Happy

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

For most categories of listings on eBay.com.au, sellers need to offer at least one of the following safer electronic payment methods:

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

These days the answer in the vast majority of cases is, for all intents and purposes, "yes". 

A few months ago, eBay removed Paymate as one of the acceptable safe payment methods, leaving the only other option as credit cards / merchant facilities, which is simply not a viable option even for a lot of business sellers, so for most people it's PayPal or don't list (except in the categories where "safe" payment methods aren't mandatory, like motors). 

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

It is just ebay,s way of double dipping. Get a Final Value Fee from the sale and get another hit from PayPal fees

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

There is no double dipping.....you pay ebay a fee for selling your item and you pay paypal a fee for transferring the money.

If your buyer does not use paypal there is no paypal fee.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

reason i ask is im wanting to buy an item (small item in a 500g satchel here in AU) but seller states payments only by Visa/MasterCard Money order/Bank cheque only. no paypal..

thanks for all the responses..

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

It appears your seller is offering their own Merchant credit card facilities....that is completely within the rules.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

personally i prefer to use PP for all the benifits that they provide when buying.

is this item only available from this one seller leaving no choice if you really want it.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

personally i prefer to use PP for all the benifits that they provide when buying.

is this item only available from this one seller leaving no choice if you really want it.

me too....its a torch worth around $60 and found other sellers with the same items that also offer paypal as an option of payment.

anyway, thanks for the replies. im off fishing so ill be back in the morn to answer any other posts etc.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@my_wishes_and_dreams wrote:

It is just ebay,s way of double dipping. Get a Final Value Fee from the sale and get another hit from PayPal fees

How is that? eBay sold Paypal off last year. Unless they still have some shares, and get dividends like any other shareholder, they have no financial interest in Paypal at all.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply