eBay Plus "free trail click here" - misleading advertising

duhavoc
Community Member

I am a member of eBay for 19 years. This is my first time messaging this forum regarding an issue with my purchase.

I have been using Amazon for most of my purchases but went back to eBay looking for a particular item.

I encountered a banner on eBay, which offered a free trial for eBay Plus. I assumed that, like other apps offering free trials, I could cancel before the trial period ends with no charge. However, I was charged $49 instantly.

I contacted eBay customer service and received unsatisfactory responses and closed the chat and said have a nice day.

I am concerned about being misled by the sales messaging and expected better from eBay. The messaging and information displayed on the phone app versus the desktop view differ, and there should be clearer communication with important details. eBay's handling of my inquiry was unsatisfactory.

In hindsight, I had used a free trial prior not sure when maybe 1-2yrs ago so I had no recollection that I did but having the banner waving in my face I took the offer.

Buyer beware?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The terms and conditions are pretty clear, You only get to use the free trial once.   Link to T&C's would be shown on the banner, but it is up to the individual to read them and ensure they are eligible.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

So you made the mistake and worse still hung up on Ebay CS.  Why is it buyer beware,  read the T&C's

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

As mentioned, you can only use a free trial once, and that is not limited to ebay. If people were allowed unlimited free trials, then they'd cancel before the end of the month and start a new free trial. Could you imagine if someone like Netflix or Amazon Prime allowed unlimited free trials? They'd shut down in a month because they'd make no money. It's no different with ebay plus. It's another way for ebay to make money, so having unlimited trials would mean no one would pay, but everyone would reap the benefits.

Just remember to cancel your subscription before the 12 months is up. It's not for me, but a lot of people love it. You may as well make the most of it while you've got it.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply