eBay & USPS Price Raping International Buyers

I purchase a number of items from the US and have always found postage costs quite reasonable...THAT was until the latest eBay foray into price raping international buyers to clearly make more $$$$ in conjunction with USPS.

A recent trend is that many US sellers are utilising eBay as their international shipping agent / carrier in conjunction with USPS. I'm a bit unclear on the mechanics of the policy, however recent communications with a US seller identified he had no control over postal charges as eBay does it on his behalf.

Long story short I advised the seller the postal charges on his eBay listings were almost double the standard USPS rates if he did the postage himself. At days end we both decided to deal privately off-eBay as I got a better deal on postage, plus he got more money in his pocket as I purchased additional items.

We have all seen the influence eBay has had upon Australia Post and the sweetheart deals being done the past 2 years...so I wonder how much longer before eBay totally hyjacks Australia Post as it has with USPS.

Love to hear from people (not eBay employee's or stooges) who have a detailed knowledge of the eBay / USPS arrangement...which clearly is putting more money into eBay's pockets.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I think what you're talking about is the Global Shipping Program run by Pitney Bowes.

If you search the boards there have been a lot of posts about it over the last year or so.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks I will have a look under that name you provided, however the seller was very very clear eBay and USPS arranged it on his behalf. It sounded very new so that's why I thought I'd post on the topic

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

some US stock market research on the Bloomberg Report quotes the following by Editor Nick Turner:

"Pitney Bowes got its start in 1920 as a producer of stamp postage meters. The company manages shipping logistics for companies like EBay Inc. (EBAY) and retailers ranging from the WWE Inc. to messenger-bag seller Rickshaw Bagworks"

A bit more research identifies who both hold major financial interests and indeed contracts with Pitney Bowes....

No prizes for guessing...so in other words my Seller in the US was correct in stating eBay does all his international shipping, allbeit under a title like Global Shipping or whatever.

Once again eBay inflating the market in the name of pure financial greed. Don't the executives at eBay realise that the more you try to strangle and manipulate marketplace Seller's, the more people fight back and just do everything possible to AVOID eBay's endless fee structure and manipulation.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply