eBay managed payment and return case issue - just a warning

cft207
Community Member

In the case this information may assist others I thought I'd document a "different" scenario I've experienced since the new eBay Managed Payments and Return processing has been brought in.

I purchased a new item which was received and required significantly not as described case to be opened. Item received was of different size to that advertised, and seller acknowledged this.

Within the eBay return case processing pages and messages I was advised the seller had sent to me a return postage label. Clicking the return label link I found it not to be a return label, but a text file with a PO box address and a statement saying I may be charged restocking fees.

I spoke with eBay and they confirmed this was NOT a return postage label and the PO address was not the sellers return address registered with eBay. Even so ALL eBay messages and return pages displayed as the label having been sent to me , with myself required to complete next step and return to them. eBay told me to ignore their own return processing pages and advice.

At this point eBay staff told me not to send item back. They seemed unimpressed by sellers "label and information". eBay tried to generate a return label for me but stated they could not for some reason. I was then told they'd contact seller and again ask for return label. If seller didn't send me a label by a certain date I'd receive a refund whether item sent back or not.

That date came and went but the return case remained upon. Case in fact timed out and given I did not comply stating item returned it was deemed in favour of seller. Contrary to all advice received by eBay, and all the references they had.

Speaking again with eBay they re-opened case and issued a refund.

Also of concern and adding to confusion is that the day after case closed I went and referenced my eBay seller account "all activity " and there was no line item showing my initial payment for this purchase, nor any other reference at all, making it very easy to overlook. I paid using Paypal via eBay managed payments.

So the warning is this : be sure to confirm that received return labels are in fact real as the return processing pages have a flaw in which they allow sellers to progress through mandatory fields by sending an incorrect label, and in doing so then placing the onus on buyer. Also be sure to follow up when case complete as eBay support advice is not always applied due to auto processing of issue.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

yes, both buyer & seller play their part....well done that you kept at it....was the seller overseas? You can tell from their feedback page where they are registered....

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Interesting... This is the first instance I've read concerning a supposed postage label being a text file with address and instructions.

You're lucky that the eBay CS rep re-opened the case for you and gave you the refund. It isn't unheard of, but it's rare.

I'm glad you managed to receive your full refund!

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Hi, Seller is based in Australia and item was delivered from within Aus.

eBay did say however their Aus return post address was not the address eBay have on file.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

If it's the seller where you left the red dot - they're in Hong Kong. If not, sorry, can't help without an item number.....maybe they're a dropshipper??

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply