excessive postage charges

I am starting to notice a fair few companies are charging way over the top postage lately.One of these places wants $200 to post a 20kg item from Brisbane to Adelaide.I can get a pinball machine weighing 80+kg's posted for that price which is also 3 to 4 times the volume.How do these ppl justify such extreme postge,in fact I can get the same item from the US for less postage and until now the US has always been the most expensive of anywhere.I guess some stores just don't want to sell there items,or are looking for a sucker

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

as buyer i would consider $200 postage for a 20Kg item a fair price. just how do you think the item is going to get from brisbane to adelaide? if as you say you could get the same weight item delivered from the US for cheaper, I am sure there are a lot of sellers out there who would love to know how...

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Err the postage from the US for the exact same items is $156.64 from one place and $202.04 from another,and by the way my pinball machine was $180.00 and I had to use a tailgate loader to get it here as it comes in over 80kg.The tailgate loader was $75 extra so it would have only cost $105 dollars otherwise,so how do you figger $200 is a fair price for 20kg

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

as buyer i would consider $200 postage for a 20Kg item a fair price. just how do you think the item is going to get from brisbane to adelaide? if as you say you could get the same weight item delivered from the US for cheaper, I am sure there are a lot of sellers out there who would love to know how...

You are kidding ... aren't you ?

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

think about this, brisbane to adelaide via road. how much would it cost you in fuel to drive that far? well in excessive of $200 i would say. now put the same item on a plane. excess baggage can be anywhere in the region of $10-15 per kg. just saying i would say the postage was a fair amount in my opinion as a buyer only. i think a lot of people dont realise just how heavy 20kg really is. 10 packets of sugar, 20 liters of milk, two car wheels complete with tyres,......

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Its interesting that you mentioned types I recently sent by courier (first time I used this particular company four rims and tyres with insurance from Melbourne to Queensland for less than $100.

If it is an item that will fit in an AP ebay box - you can send up to 15kg for under $20. 

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Ok I stand corrected, now i see 200 was excessive, will keep it in mind.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

Its interesting that you mentioned types I recently sent by courier (first time I used this particular company four rims and tyres with insurance from Melbourne to Queensland for less than $100.

If it is an item that will fit in an AP ebay box - you can send up to 15kg for under $20. 

Yes, but that's only if the sender and recipient live within (I think) 75km of each other (not sure about the precise distance).

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I was still curious about the different postal charges so did a quick calculation on a parcel of the maximum cubed size and maximum permitted weight of 22kg from my home to a suburb about 50km away, and regardless of the parcel's size, the cost remained at just $12.35.

However, that same parcel sent to Perth would cost a staggering $722.15 (and that's without any extras).
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I just did the same calculation as CQ for the same sized & weighted parcel going from my place in North West Vic to Newcastle. That's a little over 1/2 the distance from Brisbane to Adelaide.

The cost was $192.20.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply