extended time for paypal disputes now 180 days

boggo58
Community Member

This is the best news ever. How many of us forget the 40? Odd days and miss out on putting in a dispute, this will get sellers to improve . The main thing as well is NOT TO GIVE FEED BACK, ESPECIALLY POSITIVE straight away, a lot of people do. Wait till the last few days then do it!

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: extended time for paypal disputes now 180 days

cq_tech
Community Member
Your comment raises an interesting point. Now that the claim period has been increased from 45 to 180 days, will eBay increase the time period in which feedback can be left from it's current 60 days to 180 days as well? I've not yet seen or heard anything that would suggest so, but regardless, for very obvious reasons I will no longer be leaving positive feedback for buyers once they've paid, and will now be leaving it until the last possible moment.
Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

@boggo58 wrote:

This is the best news ever. How many of us forget the 40? Odd days and miss out on putting in a dispute, this will get sellers to improve . The main thing as well is NOT TO GIVE FEED BACK, ESPECIALLY POSITIVE straight away, a lot of people do. Wait till the last few days then do it!

Ya think eh ?

Don't include me in your "forgetful" basket !

Good sellers don't need to improve-they do a great job already.

Buyers need to read ALL the listing,read eBay polices,do their research etc.BEFORE they commit to buy.

These boards are littered with basket cases who are  either too lazy or too pig ignorant to do any of the above.

As to your feedback suggestion once again there is a plethora of buyers posting that they don't immediately receive glowing feedback from sellers upon completion of a transaction & then scatter negative feedback like confetti.

Before you jump to any conclusions I am predominantly a buyer & only sell a small amount.

Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

boggo58 wrote:

This is the best news ever. 

I hope not, but I fear you might be reconsidering that by this time next year.

This may prove to be the straw that broke the camels back for a great great many good Aussie sellers.

At the moment, if a reasonable alternative to eBay & Paypal with decent exposure to buyers were to start up, no question for me... it's sayonara eBay & Paypal, as it is it's still probably sayonara to eBay for me as a seller.

There's enough stress associated with selling on eBay already, I don't need to be stressed for 6 months per transaction worrying that some unreasonable or dishonest buyer is going to try to screw me, either by trying to extort me with feedback or trying for a reversal with some bogus claim, and it's nought to do with the amount of $$s that may be involved, it's the principal of it (if you've ever been scammed or had something stolen from you, then you should understand).

And if you don't think there are many unreasonable buyers using eBay... surf these pages, you'll find enough just from the last week to be left in no doubt.

The point is this. Why is 6 months even necessary?

If you haven't already received the goods in the 45 days + 20 days to escalate, are you really going to receive them later. As far as China sellers go, this won't improve things, their post is liable to just get slower than ever now there's no 45 day timetable you can force them to deliver in.

What more about an item do you need to know, that you don't already know within 45 days, that you then need 6 months to know to lodge a not as described claim?

Message 4 of 68
Latest reply

Oh, and if you doubt the legitimacy of my concerns over stressing for 6 months worried about being extorted over feedback, then re-read your own opening post... here, let me remind you...

@boggo58 wrote:

Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

Well my list just grew by 1. lol

Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

My first thought was how 180 days would probably herald the end of being fobbed off by those dodgy Chinese sellers who promise and promise to send / fix / replace / refund whatever it is.....then don't deliver and before you know it the 45 days are up.

They will have to lift their game or be gone, because the claims will come in.

Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

My first thought was how 180 days would probably herald the end of being fobbed off by those dodgy Chinese sellers 

They will have to lift their game or be gone, because the claims will come in.

So why not just make it 90 days for disputes involving international transactions, and leave it as it is for domestic transactions?

The problem is going to be this for Aussie sellers, particularly non-business sellers, this measure is going to act much like giving the buyers a big stick that they can weild over sellers heads. It's intimidatory in nature, as the comment regarding feedback by the OP is testament to.

Who is going to voluntarily agree/sign up to be treated like that? I for one do not respond at all well to being intimidated, never have & never will. I'm either going to just leave quitely, or else I'll first tell you where you can stick that big stick sideways, and then leave. And I doubt very much if I'll be alone in reacting that way.

eBay has been a great place for buying & selling both for private individuals & businesses, it could be again, but not when intimidation is being used as the primary motivator and primary method of conducting business. It's just sad that the powers that be at eBay & Paypal think intimidatory practices to be a good business model for running their business.

Message 8 of 68
Latest reply

There is really no need to have more time for overseas items to arrive than for local post.   As long as the seller posts the items there is no reason for them not to arrive within 45 days by airmail....and you have an additional 20 days to escalate to a claim...a total of 65 days.

The only items that would take more than that are items posted by surface mail....and they have never been covered by paypal anyway.  Maybe with the longer time for disputes paypal will now cover surface mail items....but it is not uncommon for surface mail to take up to 6 months anyway.  It could go on forever.

Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

Special list

Message 10 of 68
Latest reply