handling fees

Should a seller post that they charge handling fees when bidding on an item. I bid on two items from the same seller and when I get the invoice there is a 10.00 handling fee. Should that be stated in the listing ? I think it should

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: handling fees

It would be nice, but  it is not compulsory to see how the sender breaks up the postage - you see the postage cost on the listing and that's what you pay

If in any doubt, best to email seller before buying.

Is that what you mean?  please clarify

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I always make sure that the buyer is aware of the break-down of the P & H cost in my listings, so that prospective bidders/buyers can see that the handling charge is not excessive.

Talking of 'excessive', $10 does sound like a lot for handling, although I suppose it might depend on the particular items being sold and just how much and how involved the 'handling' is.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

It would be nice, but  it is not compulsory to see how the sender breaks up the postage - you see the postage cost on the listing and that's what you pay

If in any doubt, best to email seller before buying.

Is that what you mean?  please clarify

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I always make sure that the buyer is aware of the break-down of the P & H cost in my listings, so that prospective bidders/buyers can see that the handling charge is not excessive.

Talking of 'excessive', $10 does sound like a lot for handling, although I suppose it might depend on the particular items being sold and just how much and how involved the 'handling' is.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I never thought of handling fees I just asumed that it would be included in the postge I will ask in future

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

a $10 handling fee is a bit excessive, best to ask before bidding as they cant add it once the auction is over

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@flatoutharry wrote:

Should a seller post that they charge handling fees when bidding on an item. I bid on two items from the same seller and when I get the invoice there is a 10.00 handling fee. Should that be stated in the listing ? I think it should

It actually depends on what the original P&H for the items were, and whether the handling fee was added after the sale in addition to original postage costs. 

If, for example, each item had $5 postage, and you seller invoiced you for $20 postage after the auctions ended (2 x $5 + $10 handling fee), then they are most definitely not allowed to do that, it's against eBay policy to add extra charges after a sale.

If, on the other hand it could work out that the handling fee was included in the original postage quote (basically, if the combined postage amount, including the handling fee, is equal to or less than the sum of the original postage amounts), then they are allowed to do that.

Best thing you can do, if you're interested in multiple items from a seller, is to ask for a P&H quote prior to bidding. Most sellers who offer combined postage etc will be able to give you a firm quote up front, so there should be no surprises. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@flatoutharry wrote:

I never thought of handling fees I just asumed that it would be included in the postge I will ask in future

You're right - the postage quote includes handling fees if any.    The seller is not allowed to charge any more than is quoted in the listing.

If he added $10 onto the invoice after the item ended, this is a definite no no.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

when I ghot the invoice I asked what is the extra 10.00 for and she replied it is handling fees and that the price I got the item for was very cheap aanyway Yes I did get a bargin but my problem is that it should have been in the listing that handling fees would charged The seller seems to think that she can charge me whatever I have paid it so lets see how my item arrives

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Absolutely:   if you can't see in the listing anywhere about the extra money, she has done the wrong thing.   Even "more wrong" because handling fees should be included in the postage price.

Definitely wait until you get the item and see how much the postage turned out to be.   Will be intererested to hear back from you.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@flatoutharry wrote:

when I ghot the invoice I asked what is the extra 10.00 for and she replied it is handling fees and that the price I got the item for was very cheap aanyway Yes I did get a bargin but my problem is that it should have been in the listing that handling fees would charged The seller seems to think that she can charge me whatever I have paid it so lets see how my item arrives

So the seller added the $10 AFTER you won ? I wouldn't pay no matter how much of a bargain.I would politely direct her to the relevant ebay policy and I would report her if she refused to remove the charge.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply