hi have been charged $15 postage when actual post cost is $7:20. Should i contact seller

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

hi have been charged $15 postage when actual post cost is $7:20. Should i contact seller

Hi Seems a bit steep. Remember there will be a charge for packaging costs to factor in. Was it just normal post or did seller send with tracking and signature?

You could send a polite message to ask seller why the postage was high if you feel they have overcharged you.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

first point of contact should always be to your seller:   maybe as stated ^^ there are extra costs, like registration etc.

If the seller has in fact made a mistake in calculating postage, best case scenario they will refund part postage.

Worst case scenario, they charge a lot for packing.   

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Without futher info, it almost sounds like the Global Shipping Program.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

what was the postage quoted on the actual auction page??

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I wouldn't contact anyone, indeed I wouldn't even know as I buy based on the total price and as long as I receive what I paid for I couldn't care less how much of that cost is to cover postage and how much the item price. I open up the parcel and chuck the packagig away without lookig to see the cost, 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

orge069
Community Member

Hi I would just ask for a refund,cant hurt. Look sometimes it costs to buy boxes especially for sending bikes around the world,and even then there only $5 a box from the local bike shop, but in your case $7.80 profit on postage, he obviously does not know that if you are a true ebayer,and a human being you will only charge actual postage costs,"I think its 1 of the rules"? should be if it isnt, good luck.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

How do you know their costs?

They maybe paying for extra cover ($1 - $1.50 per $100).

They could be including signature on delivery (~ $3)

Plus relevant packaging.

Also eBay charge on shipping fee as well now, so approx 10% more there.

If you are not happy with the total price to pay - do not purchase...

EDIT: and with the new ebay money back program - expect the cost of shipping to buyers to increase to cover Registered post ($3 or $4 + postage + packaging etc!)

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Definitely and absolutely no $7.80 profit on postage there.

You forgot to deduct the eBay fees on the postage charged, plus the PayPal fees on the postage charged, plus any costs associated with the packing materials.

Even with an Australia Post charge of $7.20 it actually costs the Seller in the vicinity of $8.20 absolute bare minimum, generally more depending on the cost to them in packing materials.

You can't just look at the label or stamps and declare that you've been overcharged without first considering what it's actually cost the Seller to get it to your door, the portion that Aust Post collect is not the end of the story.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Hi

thank you to all replies. Did not know about Ebay charges for post etc, wow 

I have received item which was sent from the suburb next to me.  Seller declined for me to pick up which was fine.

Paid $15 for post, and noticed package said $7:20

so just had me wondering

Think I have a lot to learn regarding ebay fees

quartz1010

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply